How To Measure Frequency from AD2 with python SDK

loica

Question

Hello,

Does anyone know how to get the frequency of an analog signal from the AD2? I am new to this and I found a Python library called "pydwf", but still can't figure it out. What should I do to get the frequency data from the AD2?

6 answers to this question

Hi @loica,

I made the pydwf library. Glad you found it.

The AD2 doesn't support frequency measurements out of the box, but you can implement frequency estimation yourself by capturing a bit of analog signal and doing some math.

What does your signal look like and do you know approximately what frequency to expect?

On 1/8/2023 at 3:37 PM, reddish said:

Hi @loica,

I made the pydwf library. Glad you found it.

The AD2 doesn't support frequency measurements out of the box, but you can implement frequency estimation yourself by capturing a bit of analog signal and doing some math.

What does your signal look like and do you know approximately what frequency to expect?

hai reddish, thanks for your library :)

i measure analog signal from sensor and i only can get the voltage data (amplitude) . and i expect to get a frequency from doing some math (maybe using fft) and show it in a real-time.

22 hours ago, reddish said:

actually i don't know what frequency approximately to expect bcs i wanna make a detection system for resonance frequency sensor. so i need to stream the frequency data in real-time clock. is it possible to make it?

I don't understand what you're saying. What kind of 'resonance frequency sensor' are you talking about, and why does that prevent you from knowing the approximate frequency range? I also don't know what you mean by "stream data in real-time clock".

Have you tried looking at the signal on a scope?

Whether it's possible depend on what your signal looks like (eg sinusoidal, square, irregular, ...) and its approximate frequency range.

If you can't address those basic questions I don't see how to proceed, to be honest.