Digital Discovery High Speed DIN 0 thru 19 dont seem to be working

mmessuri

Question

After digging out my Digital Discovery from long term storage I wanted to verify that everything is still in working order so I followed the instructions (in the getting started section as it has been over a year since I used this device) for using the logic analyzer and was stumpdified to see that nothing was being recorded by the device.

For my test setup I connected pin 28 to DIN 0 (using the high speed cables) and then connected the GND pin (of pin connector 28 thru 31) to the GND connector for DIN 0.  Next (following the instructions) I setup the pattern generator to output a Clock (using 1khz in parameter 1) and hit run.  On the logic analyzer tab I setup DIN 0 (with a base of 1ms/div) using a trigger of Auto and a bus speed of 100MHz then hit run.

What I expected to see was the clock pattern (from the pattern generator tab) being captured on the logic analyzer but that is not what I received.  What I actually received was no signal at all on DIN 0.  I then repeated this process using DIN 1 thru 19 and received the same lack of signal.

Thinking that I was going crazy I swapped DINs 0-19 for Pins 24 thru 27 (as the input pins on logic analyzer tab) and bam....the expected clock signal is being captured.

Finally, I switched from using Pins 24 thru 27 (all the time keeping the output on pin 28) to using DINs 4 thru 23 and don't you know it....the expected clock signal is being captured.

So at this point I am stumped as to the reason behind DINs 0-19 not functioning while DINs 4-23 are.  This device has had very little use over the past two years (as I switched companies and the new job does not require research things at  home much) and even less use on the HSI pins.

As for the WaveForm software I am using version 3.18.1 on my Windows 10 64-bit OS (I even tried running the software as admin but that did not help)

BTW:  To ensure that it was not a problem with the HSI cables, I also tried just connecting the input pin to the DIN pin(s) but still the same problem.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on there or perhaps a suggestion as to what to try next (if it comes down to it I guess I could write off DINs 0 thru 19 but that makes me start to have trust issues with this device)

Thanks.

-- Michael --

2 answers to this question

So I was playing around with things today, trying to troubleshoot this further, and found that if I remove the High Speed Adapter and connect directly to any of the High Speed Input Pins which were not working with the adapter plugged in all issues disappear.  At this point I can only speculate that the root cause of the issue is a bad HSA board (which is strange since there is nothing too this board other then connector pins)

Hi @mmessuri

Makes sure you are using the wires, the gnd-signal pairs correctly. The high speed adapter expands the ground connections. Each signal wire is twisted with a ground wire and the signal wires have a series termination resistor.
https://digilent.com/reference/test-and-measurement/digital-discovery/using-the-high-speed-adapter