Not running WFGs still outputting voltage

miv2k

Question

Hi,

A couple of times I ran into situations when after stopping all instruments including WFGs to rearrange connections, I still found WFGs outputting steady DC voltage.

That's partly expected, since there is an "Idle: Offset/Initial" combo box, at least for variable form signals, but when it comes to generating DC, it becomes really confusing and somewhat dangerous.

In DC mode there is only one control "Offset". So when configuring a WFG to run in DC mode, I'd naturally set this Offset to the desired value. And then would expect that switching WFG between Stopped and Running should trigger the output voltage between open circuit and this value, but no! Regardless of whether WFG is shown as Running or not, DC is applied.

I understand that there is a separate Enable checkbox in the WFG configuration window, and it's that checkbox that can be used to disconnect WFG's outputs, but it's present only in the WFG window. The green/red indicators in the tabs and the big red "Stop all instruments" button have no effect on WFG's output in DC mode, it continues to run.

Do you think it may be possible to transition WFG's outputs to open circuit when the WFG is Stopped?

Thanks!

3 answers to this question