Library Installation for MCC DAQ HAT for Raspberry Pi 4

Duc Anh Nguyen

Question

Hi,

I am trying to install the MCC DAQ HAT for the RPi 4. I have it installed successfully before, but there is one problem occurred in my latest installation. After following every step on the github link, I got the install.sh running, but it stuck at the line:

Reading DAQ HAT EEPROMs

I thought it was a procedure in the installation, but it stucked at that line forever. It has been a while since I last install a unit, so I did not remember how I pulled it off. I just remember it was pretty straight forward to do. 

FYI, I have already enable I2C and SPI on my RPi 4, by using raspi-config. I remmeber in my very first installation, it said it does not have a bcm_host.h no file or directory, I fixed this with sudo apt-get install libraspberrypi-dev.

Thank you,

Duc Anh Nguyen

Edited by Duc Anh Nguyen

7 answers to this question

Hello,

The daqhat driver installation is suppose to enable SPI and I2C, but we still come across situations where they are not. It is best to double check using the Raspberry PI desktop, check the Preferences->Raspberry Pi Configuration->Interfaces window and make sure they are enabled? We use I2C to read the EEPROMs so if you have other devices that use it remove them and retest. 

You can also make sure that your Raspbian OS is up to date by running the following commands:

sudo apt full-upgrade

sudo reboot

If all else fails, uninstall the driver

cd ~/daqhats

sudo ./uninstall.sh

and re-install the driver

cd ~/daqhats

sudo ./install.sh

Best regards,
John

Hi John,

Thank you for your message. But I am not running Raspbian OS but Linux on the RPi4, since our application need us to run it in Linux. I have successfully installed one before, but I do not understand why I could not pull it off this time. 

I have already installed SPI and I2C before installation, and follow exact same procedure as you guys provided. Could you please let me know what else I could do?

Thank you and have a good day!

Hello Duc Anh,

Perhaps there is some confusion. The MCC DaqHat driver is for the MCC 118, MCC 128, MCC 134 and MCC 172 and the Raspbian operating system only. Raspbian is a special flavor of Linux for the Raspberry PI. We also have a Linux driver called UL for Linux that is for our USB devices. You may have mixed them up because both can be used with the Raspberry PI board. Here's a link to the UL for Linux driver https://github.com/mccdaq/uldaq. To be clear, it is not possible to install the DaqHat driver if you have another OS such as Ubuntu. 

Best regards,
John

Hi John,

So just to confirm, to use the DaqHat on Ubuntu OS running on RPi4, I have to follow the instruction provided on the link you attached above, right? Cause currently I have a couple of MCC128, is it possible for us to use it with RPi4 running Ubuntu OS?

Thank you and regard,

Duc Anh Nguyen

Edited by Duc Anh Nguyen

Run the MCC Daqhats Manager to test the interface.

/usr/bin/python3/  /usr/share/mcc/daqhats/daqhats_manager.py

if you still get "no module named daqhats" the library is not installed. 

After you've reimaged the raspberry pi, it's important to update the image 

sudo apt full-upgrade

sudo reboot

then follow the instructions on github making sure SPI and I2C are enabled. 

Best regards,

John