Triggers and consistant data in waveforms custom protocol script

JWSunhillo

Question

I am new to this product and currently using an analog discovery 2.  I have found the custom protocol script in wave forms to be easy enough however I have 2 things that I cannot figure out to how to do, if they are not possible then this would be a suggestion as an addition that would make the custom protocol much more usefull

1. adding triggers to my custom protocol.  I need to run continuously and stop on condition the "trigger" could just stop the instrumentation at that buffer when detected.

2. having persistent data from 1 capture to the next, when running in repeat mode I need a few variables to be consistent or my data words end up having to be realigned at the beginning of each buffer capture.

2 answers to this question

Hi @JWSunhillo

1. I may not have all the details of what you want to achieve but I think you can use the ROM logic in Patterns for such purpose. Here:
 DIO-0 used as input signal (a "trigger")

DIO-1 is configured for a custom pattern
 DIO-2 outputs DIO-1 while DIO-0 is low (not high)
If ms timing is sufficient you could use an additional Script to verify the DIO-0 state and stop or re-start the Patterns.

image.png

image.png

image.png

2. In repeated mode it is not possible to eliminate gaps between the captures. Use Record mode for longer captures.

I don't think this will work for me,  to be specific i am decoding a protocol that is synchronous serial similar to the the SPI protocol with clock and data.  The protocol when everything goes well goes into bit sync (this is aligning the bits in a stream to the start of a byte) based on a idle match and then stays that way.  I want to put triggers on say a specific data word or state such as going out of bit sync or message too large or something like that may indicate a transmission error.