Updated to DasyLab v16 and now USB_2408 isn't recognized via Instacal

IMANNA

Question

We were previously running v15 and had an engineer leave so our IT person upgraded to v16.0.0.501.en and now we cannot get Instcal to recognize our USB-2408 device.  Within device manager is shows a circle with a question mark.  We've scanned for changes, updated the device, removed and re-added the device and nothing works.  Not sure where to go from here and would rather not do a full re-install unless absolutely necessary.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DasyLab - Missing Daq Device.jpg

DasyLab - Missing USB-2408.jpg

DasyLab - Devices USB-2408.jpg

Edited by IMANNA
Device image added

11 answers to this question

Hello @IMANNA

That is not InstaCal.  What you are showing in your post is the list of boards shown by DASYLab.

You launch InstaCal by clicking Start >> scroll to the "M's", open the folder for Measurement Computing >> InstaCal.

Does your device show up there?

if not, then perhaps you need to update your version of InstaCal.  You can download it from https://mcc.download.ni.com/downloads/MCCDaqCD/mccdaq.exe

The current version of InstaCal is 6.73

When I attempt to initiate Instacal as you indicated, which we've done before, Instacal comes up for brief period (see image), then exits without any further instruction.  We have the latest version of Instcal installed.

Instacal Screen.jpg

Edited by IMANNA
attached image

Any additional insights would be appreciated.  I can see USB_2408 in the devices and Instacal will not recognize it.  I've used the configurator to remove and re-add Measurement Computing packages but I still do not see the device and Instacal doesn't stay open.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, IMANNA said:

When I attempt to initiate Instacal as you indicated, which we've done before, Instacal comes up for brief period (see image), then exits without any further instruction.  We have the latest version of Instcal installed.

There is something wrong with your InstaCal installation. 

As a test, I would unplug the USB-2408 from the computer, and then run InstaCal.  if it launches and then shows you normal operation (shows you the board list), then perhaps there is a problem with your USB-2408.

Normal view of InstaCal with no boards showing:

image.png

if you see the same behavior (shows the splash screen then exits), then you will need to uninstall/reinstall InstaCal

I read you don't want to do an uninstall/reinstall, but I see no other option when you can run InstaCal.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled v6.73 on Instacal, I've uninstalled Dasylab 2022 and reverted to 2020 version.  As still USB_2408 isn't recognized by InstaCal plus InstaCal still won't even pull up to show the screen you showed above.  I don't know what else to try.

Edited by IMANNA
edit

15 hours ago, IMANNA said:

As still USB_2408 isn't recognized by InstaCal plus InstaCal still won't even pull up to show the screen you showed above.

Until you can get InstaCal to operate properly and see that InstaCal recognizes the USB-2408, I would not give any further thought to DASYLab.

There is something wrong with your Windows OS installation.

Recommendations:

Run Windows update,

Run a virus scan,

Set to an earlier restore point.

You might also get in touch with your IT folks, perhaps they know of some change to your OS that you don't.

For the sake of a test and to gain some confidence in the components, try installing InstaCal and your USB-2408 on another computer.

Does it matter if I'm running Windows 10 64-bit vs 32-bit OS?  Is there anything in the registry or with the .dll files that I can delete or insure are cleared out before I reinstall Instacal?  Since there has been so many attempts and installs, I'm wondering if I have some left over installation files that are not getting cleared out.

1 hour ago, IMANNA said:

Does it matter if I'm running Windows 10 64-bit vs 32-bit OS?

it does not.

1 hour ago, IMANNA said:

Is there anything in the registry or with the .dll files that I can delete or insure are cleared out before I reinstall Instacal?

I would search the entire hard drive (starting at c:\" for cbw32.dll and cbw64.dll.  There should not be any copies left on the system.  If there are, I recommend you delete them.

re the Registry, assuming you have removed all MCC and DASYLab software, I would search the registry for any DASYLab, InstaCal, Measurement Computing residual keys. and delete them all.  There is no easier way to accomplish this.

I've made sure Windows it up-to-date, disable Virus protection, I've removed cbw32.dll and cbw64.dll, reinstalled Instacal and it still doesn't work.  One thing that seems interesting is that I cannot find references to either of those files in the Registry.  Even when I unregister and attempt to reregister the DLL, it gives an "the entry point for DLLRegisterserver Was Not Found".    Not sure where to go with this.