Data logging capabilities of Matlab

Mohammad Alsmadi

Question

Hello, 

I am writing with some questions about using Matlab to log data from MCC-USB 2020. I would appreciate your help. 

1. Is it possible to use BURST mode in Matlab? If yes, is there any guide/documentation related to this? 

2. Is it possible to change the input voltage range in Matlab? I assume that Matlab considers the +-10V range but would like to decrease this range if possible. 

Thank you for your time and consideration. 

Best,

Mohammad 

Edited by Mohammad Alsmadi

6 answers to this question

Hello,

The USB-202 does not support BurstMode. The channel-to-channel time will be depend on the sample rate. For example, two channels @ 50k S/s will be spaced apart by 10uS, at 25k S/s it's 20uS and so on. BurstMode is available on the USB-1608G but only through our programming interface for C and Python.

The USB-202 does not support programmable ranges, it is fixed at +/- 10 volts. If you have small signals, the USB-202 may prove inadequate. In this case, the USB-231 isn't much more and is 16-bits over +/- 10 volts.

Best regards,
John

On 11/11/2022 at 2:25 PM, JRys said:

Hello,

The USB-202 does not support BurstMode. The channel-to-channel time will be depend on the sample rate. For example, two channels @ 50k S/s will be spaced apart by 10uS, at 25k S/s it's 20uS and so on. BurstMode is available on the USB-1608G but only through our programming interface for C and Python.

The USB-202 does not support programmable ranges, it is fixed at +/- 10 volts. If you have small signals, the USB-202 may prove inadequate. In this case, the USB-231 isn't much more and is 16-bits over +/- 10 volts.

Best regards,
John

Hello John, 

Thank you for your reply. It seems that you answered my questions based on the USB-202 not based on the US-B2020. Could you please help me addressing my questions based on the USB-2020? 

Thank you for your time. 

Mohammad

Hello Mohammad,

BurstMode applies to devices that have a multiplexed analog input system. Multiplexing switches each channel one at a time to the A/D converter for the measurement. However this adds a time component between each channel. BurstMode instructs the device to sweep through the channels as quick as possible to minimize the time. It does not apply to the USB-2020 because it has two channels, each with their own A/D converter for true simultaneous sampling (non multiplexed).. 

Best regards,

John

Hello Mohammed,

Instead of BurstMode, could it be you meant BURSTIO? BURSTIO is the option to achieve the higher sample rates up to 20MS/s.  In this case, setting the sample rate higher than the maximum USB transfer rate should trigger BURSTIO as long as the acquisition is not continuous and fits with in the 64MB onboard memory. However, MCC did not create the MatLab Toolbox interface, for the best answer reach out to the Mathworks. 

Best regards,

John