DAQami malfunction with multiple USB-TC

minche

Question

Hi there, 

I am using 3 USB-TC devices for temperature measurement with T-type thermocouples in my system. It was working well with the first version of thermocouple connections and channel settings in DAQami.

Later, I switched some thermocouple positions on the USB-TC devices and modified the channel configurations in DAQami. When I started to collect data, I saw some temperatures are messed up. It still shows the data of the previous configurations. I mean the channel names have changed to the new configuration, but the data shown represent the old configurations. This is very strange.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks,

Min

4 answers to this question

Hello @minche

DAQami saves your configuration as an .amicfg file

These files and your data files are saved in your C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Measurement Computing\DAQami folder.

You can delete them if you need.

But it is possible this is not the problem you are having.

USB-TC temperature inputs are static sensitive.  When changing the thermocouple wiring, you need to observe proper safe static handling.  This means prior to installing or changing the wiring of the USB-TC you need to ground yourself to discharge any static that may have built up on you, and you should NOT change the wiring while the USB-TC is connected to the computer (via the USB cable).  To be clear, from the previous sentence 'changing the wiring' means not only changing a TC, but moving, installing, or removing.  Failure to do adhere to these rules may damage the static sensitive inputs of the USB-TC.

You may ask, "Why are the TC inputs of the USB-TC not better protected from static sensitivity?"  The answer is they are a protected as we can make them without sacrificing measurement sensitivity.  With more static protection, the less accurate the temperature measurement.

I have found the best way to test to see if you have impacted the performance your USB-TC (i.e. how to discern if you have a damaged device) is to test the USB-TC using the InstaCal app already installed on your system.  Attach one USB-TC with existing TC wires in place, and run InstaCal (Start >> Measurement Computing >> InstaCal).  During the app launch should it hang up or get stuck until you unplug the USB-TC, the device is damaged.  Or, should it hang at anytime while you configure the device or test the device in InstaCal, the device is damaged.

Hi Jeffery,

Thanks for the answers. I used InstaCal and have all sensors checked and recalibrated. They look fine. I don't see any physical damage to the sensors and channels. 

If I am using InstaCal, all the data looks correct, and the sensors agree with the physical channels they were installed. But when I back to DAQami and re-configure all the channels, it still messed up. I believe it is a software issue. I have one sensor installed at channel 4 of USB-TC2 and hold it in my hand to see T increasing, in DAQami, it shows at channel 7 of USB-TC1. This is very strange. I am going to uninstall and reinstall DAQami to see if it can be fixed.

Let me know if you have other suggestions and I can try them.

19 minutes ago, minche said:

Hi Jeffery,

Thanks for the answers. I used InstaCal and have all sensors checked and recalibrated. They look fine. I don't see any physical damage to the sensors and channels. 

If I am using InstaCal, all the data looks correct, and the sensors agree with the physical channels they were installed. But when I back to DAQami and re-configure all the channels, it still messed up. I believe it is a software issue. I have one sensor installed at channel 4 of USB-TC2 and hold it in my hand to see T increasing, in DAQami, it shows at channel 7 of USB-TC1. This is very strange. I am going to uninstall and reinstall DAQami to see if it can be fixed.

Let me know if you have other suggestions and I can try them.

I have re-installed the DAQami and the issue hasn't been fixed. BTW I am using a USB-HUB to connect 2 USB-TC to my laptop.