USB-201 not powering on after firmware update

nedo

Question

Hi,

Instacal software froze while updating firmware on USB-201 device. Now the device is not powering on or being registered anywhere on my PC. Could you please help me out?

All best,

Ned

Edited by nedo
clarifying the question

5 answers to this question

Hello,

Assuming it was in working order before performing the upgrade, the following procedure may restore it to life:

1.         Download the device’s new .hex file from https://www.mccdaq.com/firmware.aspx, and place it in the ..\Measurement Computing\DAQ\FirmwareImages folder.

2.         Disconnect the USB cable

3.         Short the two center pins of the 6-pin header J9 found on the circuit board.

4.         Connect the USB cable

5.         Run InstaCal.  The device will show up as USB-201-BOOT-LOADER

6.         Perform firmware update like a normal USB-201 device.

Upon completion, the device should be back to normal operation

Best regards,

John

Hi JRys,

Thanks you for the help!
I found J9 on the circuit board and connected the two central pins (attached photo) with a piece of wire, but the device did not power on nor was it registered in InstaCal. Is there another method to reboot the device?

I have another USB-201 device at the adjacent test station. Can I utilize that one to enable the other one somehow?

All best,

Nedo

20221020_100303.jpg

Edited by nedo
elaborating

Hello,

There's no other method to bring it back to life, including using another like device. 

It's interesting that your board doesn't have the header connector installed. What's the 7-digit serial number on the bar code sticker? 

Best regards,

John

Hi John,

The device was working fine prior to the firmware update.. I followed your advice step by step, and nothing changed. So, I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong - maybe I'm not shorting it correctly? I checked the USB cable, it is Ok - powering other MC devices without a problem.. Changing USB ports at the PC also didn't do anything.

This was the first time we opened any of the MC devices, the 7-digit serial number is: 18EB972.

20221020_095328.thumb.jpg.1ed95957919f69a4da3a9d41af9731ad.jpg