MCC 172 DAQ HAT cannot be detected on raspberry pi

Xin Yu

Question

Hi I have encountered a problem that DAQ HAT cannot be detected on the raspberry pi system. I have followed the installation procedure through https://mccdaq.github.io/daqhats/install.html. And there was no problem from step 1-7. However when I run the command 'daqhats_list_boards', it shows 0 board detected. The MCC DAQ HAT manager I installed also could not detect the device.

The DAQ HAT should have be installed correctly as the green light on the board is on(photo attached). Does anyone knows how to solve this problem? Thank you so much!

1.jfif 2.jfif 3.jfif

13 answers to this question

Hello @Xin Yu,

Perhaps you missed this step?

Update the EEPROM images

If you change your board stack, you must update the saved EEPROM images so that the library has the correct board information. You can use the DAQ HAT Manager or the command:

sudo daqhats_read_eeproms

Note this includes the first time you add a DAQHat to the stack.

Failing that, please verify that your Pi has both SPI and I2C enabled.  These settings are found by clicking Raspberry Pi Start Icon >> Preferences >> Raspberry Pi Configuration.  When the control panel displays, click on the Interfaces tab.  If not already enabled, enable both SPI and I2C kernel modules.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Good day Xin,

Your 1.jfif shows you have all options enabled.  My Pi has only these interface options enabled:  SPI, I2C, and Serial console.  Just as a test, please disable all others on your Pi.

Your 2.jfif shows the MCC 172 not fully seated on the GPIO header. This is a possible reason for no operation.  With the Pi powered off, please seat it fully.

If you have any other hats mounted on the stack, please remove them.

Are any other applications running when you have the problem?  if so, please terminate them.

Some things to try:

One customer had this same issue, turned out he did not install the daqhats software BEFORE he added his hats to the stack.

Another customer had a bad SD card. Once replaced (and fresh Raspbian, DAQHATS loaded, etc.) correct operation restored.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

I tried turning off the other interface options but it didn't work out. 

I'm not sure if the MCC 172 is fully seated on the GPIO header but the green light is on and I cannot push it down further.

I do not have any other hats mounted on the stack as well. And no other applications were running at the same time.

I'm sure that I have installed the daqhats software on my Pi.

My Raspberry Pi was newly bought and have no problem with the SD card so far.

Thank you for all the possible solutions so far. Is there anything else I can do on my part?

Regards,

Xin Yu

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Please take a look at the attached picture of the one I include here.

Note that the GPIO header pins fully push through the MCC 172's connector by approximately .175 inches.

This is the proper installation and seating.

no please take a look at your mounting and also your 2.jfif pic, and your last picture from your previous post.

Note that the GPIO pins do not fully push through the connector, the device is not properly seated.  I recommend, until you have it working correctly that you remove the Raspberry Pi from that PICAMERA mount.

Regards,

Jeffrey

20221018_084257.jpg

Hello Xin Yu,

This is the address I have for you via the forum and is the one I can use.

Per your requested email, I now see you are in Singapore.  

I cannot issue you an RMA for repair because you are not in the U.S.  This is due to import/export laws, and because of agreements with distributors in various countries.  Please contact the firm you purchased your MCC 172 for further assistance.