TracerDAQ Pro Crash

petercat

Question

I am using TracerDAQ Pro with an 8 channel USB thermocouple DAQ. Late last night, at 9:15 pm, TracerDAQ Pro crashed, and logged a “DAQ Stopped” annotation. Here is a screenshot.

image.png.32e2aec6b38ea089ec1358a69d30e9ee.png

I lost about 4 hours of data until I remotely rebooted the program. It had been running flawlessly for several days on a Windows 7 machine. How do I avoid this in the future? Is there a more bulletproof software package avaialble?

2 answers to this question

Hello @petercat

The "Big Red 'X' " occurs when there is a problem with the Direct X 9 installation for TracerDAQ (free or Pro).

It can also occur if TracerDAQ is run remotely.  Running remotely is not a feature for Direct X 9.

TracerDAQ is mature software.  There have not been any other reports of this or any other errors in over 10 years.

According to the picture, the error is D3DERR_INVALIDCALL.  This error means there is a graphics related issue.

Often there can be an issue with the graphics drivers not being installed or needing to be reinstalled again when this error appears. Particularly if you have recently done a Windows Update. So reinstall the drivers for your computer's graphics card and try again.

Or, another program on the computer is interfering with the graphics.

There is a tool installed on your system called dxdiag.exe found in your computer's Windows >> System32 folder.  I recommend you run this diagnostic.

If you really want to use a different software, you may try DAQami.  it is included with the mccdaq.exe (https://mcc.download.ni.com/downloads/MCCDaqCD/mccdaq.exe)

Regards,

Jeffrey

Thanks, Jeffrey. I confirmed that remoting remains the likely culprit, even after switching to a Win10 laptop.

TracerDAQ Pro seems long in the tooth. It could use an update to make it more user-friendly, add features, and eliminate this remoting incompatibility. At a minimum, the Help file should be updated, for example, to warn against remoting in, or at least add an error troubleshooting section to translate each error like you did.