Logic and Scope viewed at same time

Wayne Contello

Question

I fell a little silly.  I cannot get the scope and Logic plots on the same window at the same time.  I am working on a situation with I2C comm and an analog current measurement on the scope.  It would be really great to be able to use a common time marker to mark events.  The logic is sampled at 2Msample/s while the scope is 200ksample/s.

macOS

Waveforms version 3.18.55

Is this possible?  If so how?

I can kinda align two windows.  The problem is having to zoom them separately and no common marker

image.thumb.png.78870df987d40023999b2390ae13bf5e.png

It is inconvenient to align events in the two independent windows partially because the logic window has trace names on the left while the scope window has channel information on the right.  I looked at adding a scope channel to the logic analyzer and it didn't immediately jump out at me.  Maybe a script?

Thanks for any suggestions.  If this is user problem I will accept that too  ;)

Wayne

Edited by Wayne Contello

12 answers to this question

I have a related question when I use scope and logic at the same time.

The problem is that the captured data is not aligned at the end of the capture:

image.thumb.png.6f9754fdde36cfe5ebb71e1e93e11a7e.png

the configuration I am using to capture is:

image.thumb.png.fd43024f4c4c13bf1ed70681f0cab9ae.png

Do you have any set up suggestions for aligning the data when I want to inspect the analog and digital data at the same time?

Thanks,

Wayne

looks like the digital is display half of my expected data.  I am trying to go to two minute captures to see if I get data that is fully aligned over the whole duration.  I am trying to catch a random power shutdown and want as much data leading up to the event as possible.  The shorter the capture, the more "gaps" there are when I try to restart the capture after it stops.  The total run time for my device is 40 - 65 minutes.

OK.  just confirmed that two minutes seems to capture all the data.  Is there an option to record ("until further notice") direct to disk at a particular capture rate?

Hi @Wayne Contello

The last mentioned alignment problem is because the analog and digital capture lengths are different.
The digital samples can be up to 256Mi so for 5min the rate can be up to 892kHz. With higher rate the lengths will be different.

image.png

If it is force Stopped in such situation the two won't be aligned, only if finishes on trigger or automatically.

image.png

Hi @Wayne Contello

When adjusting the DigitalRate this sets the DigitalSamples to Base / DigitalRate but the DigitalSamples is limited to 256Mi. Setting DigitalRate too high the DigitalSamples stumbles at 256Mi so the Digital capture will be be shorter than the Analog.

Increase the DigitalRate while the DigitalSamples is less than 256Mi or instead DigitalRate increase the DigitalSamples.

image.pngimage.png

The next software version in such case will reduce the Base to have the same analog and digital capture lengths.