Can I use Adept SDK to communicate with MicroBlaze MDM JTAG UART through a digilent Jtag-SMT2 Module.

Mike C

Question

I would like to pass text messages from a PC program through the SMT2 to the MicroBlaze MDM JTAG UART in the same manner as the Xilinx SDK Console does.  This will be part of a production test set and Xilinx Vivado tools will not be available. Also programming the Xilinx Config. flash is not necessary. Everything works perfectly through Xilinx Vivado and Xilinx SDK. My custom board (V7-485T) currently uses the MDM JTAG as STDIN and STDOUT.

Is this possible and if so, does any example code exist.

2 answers to this question

Hi @Mike C,

I reached out to the engineer most familiar with the Adept software and they let me know the JTAG UART communication you are describing is not possible to do with Adept, or at least they were not aware of a way to access the bscan registers (which is what the MDM JTAG UART is using) outside of the Xilinx toolchain.

What I would probably recommend doing as an alternate option since I presume you don't have existing UART access otherwise would be to implement something like an AXI UartLite IP and route the Rx and Tx to some external pins and using something like the Pmod USBUART (https://digilent.com/reference/pmod/pmodusbuart/start) so you can then receive serial messages over something like PuTTY or TeraTerm.

Thanks,
JColvin