Configuration of "PCIe + 10G Ethernet *2 + DDR3 *2 + QDR" on NetFPGA-SUME(XC7V690T FFG1761-3)

Nakazawa

Question

I would like to confirm whether the configuration of "PCIe + 10G Ethernet *2 + DDR3 *2 + QDR" is possible. Below is the evaluation board, configuration, background of the question, and the question. 

[1] Evaluation board

NetFPGA-SUME (family: Virtex-7 (*Note), model number: XC7V690T FFG1761-3)

[2] Desired configuration

PCIe + 10G Ethernet *2 + DDR3 *2 + QDR  

For DDR3 and QDR, the following settings are currently being used.

DDR A=IC27, DDR B=IC28, QDR B=IC29 (Unused: QDR A = IC26, QDR C = IC30)

[3]Current situation and problems

(1)The problem was that the configuration I wanted to achieve did not recognize PCIe.

•  PCIe + 10GEth * 2 + DDR3 * 2 + QDR configuration does not recognize PCIe

(2)Next, we are trying the following as a separation.

• PCIe + 10GEth*2 configuration: PCIe recognition
  • PCIe + 10GEth*2 + DDR3*2 configuration: PCIe not recognized

(3)In addition, since the clock routing causes an error, the error is downgraded to a warning with the following settings (described in xdc)

• # Restrictions on the clock system Various settings for set_property CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE FALSE/ANY_CMT_COLUMN/BACKBONE

(4)As a reference, we are changing to BUFH due to lack of BUFG. (It is not the supply clock to each part above)

[4]Questions

(1) Do you have a track record of operating the evaluation board "NetFPGA-SUME" with the combination of the above configurations?

(2) Are there any combinations of configurations that you want to achieve that are impossible? For example, PCIe + DDR3 cannot be used simultaneously due to pin assignments, etc.

2 answers to this question

Hi @Nakazawa,

The NetFPGA team, https://github.com/NetFPGA/NetFPGA-public/wiki/Home_NetFPGA-SUME, is the group of people that created, supports, and maintains the existing reference projects for the NetFPGA SUME, so they will be the best equipped to help you with regards to getting your desired configuration up and running.

For what it is worth though, I cannot find anything in the reference manual or the schematic indicating that this configuration is not feasible. Only the QDRII+ seems to have a limitation regarding using both at once (https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/netfpga-sume/reference-manual#qdrii_sram) and the other components all seem to have dedicated FPGA ports as opposed to sharing the same transceiver port via a mux of some kind; there is an I2C mux to access the different SFP+ ports and DDR3, but  that should not affect the PCIe recognition aspect.

Thanks,
JColvin