USB-1616FS systematically stops working

Antovigo

Question

Hello,

I am using the USB-1616FS board to record voltages at regular intervals, but it systematically stops after a while. The LED starts blinking regularly and there is no measurement anymore. I have to reboot the computer for it to work again. I'm also using 3 USB-ERB24 switchboards, and I suspect there are interactions between the different boards, not sure. This used to work very well, maybe this follows from Windows or driver updates.

Is there any way to avoid this? What would be the troubleshooting procedure?

Thank you

4 answers to this question

I recommend you check your computer's power and sleep settings.  Make sure they are set to "Never" sleep/hibernate/shut down.

Also check all your USB Root Hubs settings in the device manager.  Power Management tab, Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

image.png

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I just tried this, but sadly it didn't change anything. Here's what I can tell about the issue:

* The voltages readers, when used on their own, can work for an extended period of time without problems

* It's when I run it while doing operations using the ERB24 switchboards from the same computer that it crashes

* When the ERB boards are running, I often hear the sound effect that signals that there was a problem with one of the USB devices (I'm not sure what this means exactly, since it's just a sound). I think this often happens when turning a switch off. On some occasions, some switches don't turn on, that might be related.

* In the past, I managed to work around the problem by wiping all the installed software (DAQami, the Universal library, Instacal) and reinstalling it. But this time it doesn't work...

Do you know if there's a way to tell exactly what's going on when the USB-problem sound effect is played? Is there a way to diagnose the units and their connection to the computer? Is there any log from the 1616FS that could give me information about the crash?

Thank you,

Antoine

14 hours ago, Antovigo said:

* The voltages readers, when used on their own, can work for an extended period of time without problems

* It's when I run it while doing operations using the ERB24 switchboards from the same computer that it crashes

Is the app that runs the USB-ERB24, the same app that controls the USB-1616FS?

When the ERB boards are running, I often hear the sound effect that signals that there was a problem with one of the USB devices (I'm not sure what this means exactly, since it's just a sound). I think this often happens when turning a switch off.

The only USB related computer sounds I am aware of are:

• 2 tones played low tone then high tone means a a device was attached and drivers are loaded.
  • 2 tones played high tone then low tone means a device was removed and/or drivers unloaded.
  • is either of these what you are hearing?

How are you connecting your '1616FS and ERB24(s?) to the computer? 

• Are you using the USB cables that came with these devices (ie 2 Meter cables)?  or are they ones you are using longer?
  • Are you using a USB HUB? (if yes, powered or unpowered?)
  • Are you using a USB cable extender?
On 9/8/2022 at 10:52 PM, Antovigo said:

The LED starts blinking regularly and there is no measurement anymore.

This means the micro on the device has lost connection and is no longer communicating with the computer, or the micro is 'confused' (in a state where it doesn't know what to do).

Since this occurs when a relay energizes or de-energizes,

is there a particular relay every time?  this could mean there is an electrical arc or spark feeding back up the USB cable.  The relays used on USB-ERB24 are equipped with flyback diodes across the coils to snub any fed-back signal, but if your signal is large enough the spark or noise could jump the diode and cause the system to hang.  As a test, you can test this by disconnecting the signals to the relays.

Lastly, just some basic questions:

What is the computer's operating system?

What version of InstaCal do you have installed?

What is your app written in?

Have you tried your setup on another computer?

I have never heard of someone having to repeatedly install/uninstall the MCCDAQ software due to this reason.

Do you know if there's a way to tell exactly what's going on when the USB-problem sound effect is played? Is there a way to diagnose the units and their connection to the computer? Is there any log from the 1616FS that could give me information about the crash?

Q1:  see above.

Q2:  not that I am aware of.

Q3:  https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/windows-10-crash-log.html

Thanks. I think I solved it. I was connecting the different boards in different ports of the computer (since I thought there were interferences, I tried to decouple them). But now I did the opposite and chained my 4 boxes together using the USB inputs/outputs, so only one is directly plugged to the computer. I haven't heard the notification sound since then, and the system has been working so far.