Connecting Analog Discovery2 to Breadboard Circuit

TechAB

Question

I am new to Digilent & Analog Discovery2. However, I've seen videos on how to Analog Discovery works but I don't clearly understand a general technique on how to connect the Analog Discovery2 to a circuit on a breadboard.  Where does the following pins go on a circuit on a breadboard                     

+/- Channel 1 pins-orange/orange-white,            +/- Channel 2 pins - blue/blue-white

and +/- V: Power Supply - red/ white pins .

The only one that seems obvious is V+.  I know this will seem like the answer is an obvious one, but I truly would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance, plus I attached a circuit as an example. 

Thanks again,

TechAB          

AnalogDiscovery2 question 1.docx

Edited by TechAB

1 answer to this question

Hi @TechAB,

Where you end up choosing to connect the pins will depend on what you are trying to measure. I will see if I can help make the idea a bit more clear with some examples though.

V+, as you appear to have intuited, is a positive power supply which will provide a constant voltage to a circuit. It will usually go where Vcc is located. I don't know if you attached a random circuit as an example, but I will note that the Analog Discovery 2 can only provide up to +5 V on its V+ pin so it would not be able to be used on the +12 V on the Vcc listed in the schematic diagram you attached; you would need a separate power supply for that.

V- is a negative power supply; most circuits do not use a negative power supply so this particular pin is usually left unconnected.

The Analog Input pins (used for the oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, network analyzer, and logger tools) let you measure a voltage at a particular location in the circuit. Commonly, voltages that are measured are only needing single ended measurements so you would attach the solid color wire (the 1+ or 2+) to the point of interest and the striped version of the wire (1- or 2-) to a reference ground point on the circuit.
It is also recommended if the circuit is being externally powered that one of the black ground wires on the Test and Measurement device are also connected to that reference ground so that way both systems (the circuit and the measurement device) are working off of the same 0 V reference.

Vs on the circuit diagram you attached is a voltage source that fluctuates; this can be created by the Waveform Generator (Wavegen tool, pin W1 or W2, doesn't matter which one). The circuit diagram shows a ground point on the opposite side of the Vs, but this ground/reference point is taken care of internally by the Analog Discovery 2 so you don't need it physically on the circuit board.

Presuming you are needing to measure how Vin and Vout compare with each other when Vs is changing, you could attach W1 to where Vs is, 1+ to Vin, 1- to a ground point, V+ to Vcc (but not at 12 V), 2+ to Vout, 2- to a ground point, and then a black ground wire to ground as well. I edited the picture to show how this might look in a schematic as well as attached a picture of a breadboard setup with the pins attached (none of the resistors and capacitors are the correct values, but it at least shows how the schematic translates to a breadboard).

Thanks,
JColvin

image.png

image.png