Zybo Z7-20 LwIP UDP Perf Server Vitis 2020.1

MichelleNicholes

Question

So I built a basic Zynq with Ethernet 0 enabled in PL.  I created the platform in Vitis 2020.1.  I created the LwIP UDP Perf Server and Built it and ran it.  It asked me to run the perf client using the ip address 192.168.1.10 and port 5001.  I downloaded iperf3 to my windows 10 computer which was configured to 192.168.1.20.  I ran the command suggested but with iperf3.  In wireshark it says it was using TCP protocol and the request is in red.  I get a reply that the connection was rejected.   I had already closed everything down and so I do not have the actual message.  Hopefully what I am typing right now is enough.  Have not found any tutorials on how to use UDP Perf  so I have no idea what I am doing right or wrong.  I did notice the command suggested did not include the -u option so I did run it again with -u for UDP but it also rejected the connection and still said TCP in wireshark.  Any help would be awesome. 

image.thumb.png.992177537d3425014ce0705f56ac419d.png

image.thumb.png.50adcf72d9d755c9ce16e6dafe8d80b2.png

The ip address was changed because something on my system was forcing me to use 169.254.x.x ips for my network to communicate.  Dont know enough about TCP IP to know what or why so I had changed my ips back for my network.  So that is why the ips are different. But I had tried using both.  Both being 192.168.1.x and 169.254.x.x

Edited by MichelleNicholes
added error messages

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, MichelleNicholes said:

So I built a basic Zynq with Ethernet 0 enabled in PL. 

The EMIO allows one to route GMII Ethernet signals from the Pl to one of the 2 GEM interfaces in the PS. In order to do that you need an Ethernet PHY connected to PL IO pins. I'm not sure how you could do that with your board. The EMIO doesn't work the other way around; that is you can't route PS MIO pins to the PL.

Using any recent version of Windows for Ethernet connectivity to development boards can be a painful experience. The fact that Win10 requires you to install an iperf3 client application is generally a sign of impending troubles. My Win10 box has 2 Ethernet ports. I use one for keeping the OS up to date and rare internet connectivity, and the other is set up with a static IP address. I use the static port to communicate with FPGA boards.

I do remember trying to do what you are trying to do a while back. The only thing that that I found was a test of the ZC702 PS Ethernet running the Standalone iperf server application.  I too installed the iperf3 for Windows x64 application and had no success. I did manage to run an iperf client on Centos6 however with success. For that test I used a USB 3.0 Ethernet dongle assigned a static IP. According to my notes this was the Centos6 commend to the iperf client:

iperf -c 192.168.1.10 -i -t 20 -u -b 1G -B 192.168.1.20

The first IP address is what the Z7020 Ethernet was using and the second is the Centos Ethernet static address. If you have multiple Etherent ports on your PC you must specify which port to use with the iperf client.

The first thing that anyone wanting to connect something to their computer via Ethernet should do is make sure that the 2 nodes are talking. This is best done in a terminal window or Windows command window using ping. If the addresses aren't compatible you usually get a message about the target address being 'unreachable'. Sometimes this can be resolved by correctly setting the address mask.

Based on what I know so far though, I'd say that your biggest problem is no Ethernet connectivity in your ZYNQ platform. You might want to try building the iperf client or server application for you PS connected Ethernet port.

Good to know that iperf2 works with Win10.

I'm still confused by the "Ethernet 0 enabled in PL" reference. What do you mean by that? If you are running an iperf server on your ZYBO then you must be using the PS GEM connected to the RJ-45 jack on your board. That has nothing to do with the PL.

The ZYBO Z7 reference manual is a bit confusing with regard to Ethernet connectivity. It mentions how the timing is set up for the MIO bank PHY RGMII interface but doesn't mention if changing the PHY settings is a requirement for operation. Regardless, there's no capability for using GEM1 with a PL connected PHY on that board.