Issue with MCC 118 not being detected by Pi

Bret.PID.Analyzers

Question

Hello, I have an MCC 118 that I'm using with a Raspberry Pi Model B with the 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS installed. I'm trying to set this up in order to test a program that uses it as a signal source, but I'm having an issue with getting the Pi to recognize the hat. I've gone through the entire process at https://mccdaq.github.io/daqhats/install.html, but when I get to the point of either using the MCC DAQ HAT Manager software or the command daqhats_read_eeproms, it never seems to be able to read the board. The command brings back "0 boards found," and the manager doesn't add any hats to the list, and says there's nothing found when I open the ACC 118 app.
I have the hat completely pressed in, and the power LED is on, so I think there should be enough of a connection for this to be readable. I've tried it with both no jumpers and one jumper in the A0 position, but I still get the same results. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the daqhats resources folder, but this changed nothing. Is there something else that I may be missing? Thank you!

6 answers to this question

Hello,

Remove the address jumpers so that the MCC 118 is at address 0 and make sure our board is the only thing attached. From a terminal, run the command sudo daqhats_read_eeproms. It should find an EEPROM at address 0. If it does then you're all set to use the board, if not then it may not work with the 64-bit OS.

Disclaimer: the MCC daqhat boards were tested using the 32-bit Raspbian because at the time 64-bit didn't exist. Earlier this year, one of our engineers tried the 64-bit version and reported back that it seemed work with the exception of a few warning. We don't have any use cases to indicate that it's solid. If you cannot get it to work, it could be that something has changed with the latest release. 

Best regards,

John

1 minute ago, JRys said:

Hello,

Remove the address jumpers so that the MCC 118 is at address 0 and make sure our board is the only thing attached. From a terminal, run the command sudo daqhats_read_eeproms. It should find an EEPROM at address 0. If it does then you're all set to use the board, if not then it may not work with the 64-bit OS.

Disclaimer: the MCC daqhat boards were tested using the 32-bit Raspbian because at the time 64-bit didn't exist. Earlier this year, one of our engineers tried the 64-bit version and reported back that it seemed work with the exception of a few warning. We don't have any use cases to indicate that it's solid. If you cannot get it to work, it could be that something has changed with the latest release. 

Best regards,

John

Hello, and thank you for the reply! I was actually able to try a different hat, the MCC 152, and the Pi was able to see it successfully, but I'll try the 32-bit OS as well. 
I have the board at Address 0 (no jumpers) already, and I've been using the daqhats_read_eeproms command, and it hasn't provided any success, so as mentioned I'll try the 32-bit OS.

Hello,

One thing to keep in mind is that the MCC 118 uses the SPI bus for communication whereas the MCC 152 uses the I2C interface. If you have a third party device or display mounted it may be using the SPI bus, which could explain your results.

Best regards,
John