Analog Discovery 2 Change Voltage Level on Arduino Analog Pins

lokobob99

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi @lokobob99,

I am a little confused. Arduino Uno boards do not let you change the voltage output of their IO pins; there is an AREF pin on the Uno, but that only lets you change the analog input reference voltage (Analog Pin 0 is only an input with regards to analog capabilities). I believe the GPIO pins all operate at 5V logic, but I am not too familiar with the Arduino boards functionality.

If you are wanting to change the analog input voltage reference AREF, then yes, the Analog Discovery 2 can provide that reference voltage (make sure you connect the ground pins between the two devices for a consistent reference). I do not know what range of voltages can be applied to AREF, so I would recommend that you ensure whatever voltage you intend to apply is compatible with the Arduino UNO.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

thanks for the fast reply! What I basically want to achieve is, to control an potentiometer that is connected to A0 Pin on the Arduino via Remote (For example via a Website). So you basically can't rotate the Potentiometer, but I still want to be able to change the Input that is generated onto A0 Pin. 

Any advices would be deeply appreciated!

Kind regards

Hi @lokobob99,

I think I understand. You are using A0 as a pseudo potentiometer and then have the Arudino board do something based off of that change in the potentiometer value (and you are wanting to use the Analog Discovery 2 as said potentiometer). In this case yes, you can very easily use the the Waveform Generator output on the Analog Discovery 2 to emulate a twist knob potentiometer.

Unfortunately, Analog Discovery 2 cannot be accessed and controlled remotely as it has no internet capabilities. I suppose you could access it remotely if you were able to remotely control the computer that the Analog Discovery 2 is connected to, but at that point you might as well just control the Arduino directly over its serial port.

If you are really wanting to remotely control the Arduino board, I would recommend that you look into some Ethernet or WiFi shields that are compatible with the Arduino UNO. The caveat with this sort of implementation is that you will usually need to be on the same internet network as the Arduino UNO's WiFi shield in order to be able to access it, unless you set up some port forwarding (or similar) on your router to be able to connect to that particular IP address from a different place entirely, but setting up such a connection in a secure way is beyond the scope of what the Digilent staff will be able to help with on the Digilent Forum.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin