Changing DAC1411 Voltages at different times

atown622

Question

I am trying to use the DAC1411 on the Eclypse Z7 to output a changing DC signal for different lengths of time.  It appears that when I fill the buffer into the DAC, it just repeats that buffer value without allowing it to be updated.  Is there a way to overwrite this buffer with new values (like an interrupt or DAC stop)?

5 answers to this question

22 hours ago, zygot said:

The best way to do this would be to bypass the Digilent DAC1411 AXI controller IP and control the DACs with your own PL design. You can still use their low level controller IP to simplify your project.

I am looking into this and it seem that when I call the dac stop function (shown below)

writeRegFld(ZMODDAC1411_REGFLD_CR_DAC_EN, 0);

the DAC doesnt actually stop..

On 6/8/2022 at 1:16 PM, zygot said:

The best way to do this would be to bypass the Digilent DAC1411 AXI controller IP and control the DACs with your own PL design. You can still use their low level controller IP to simplify your project.

For the demo project for the ramp up function in Xilinx SDK, what would be the correct parameters to obtain the highest possible output speed of the DAC?  I am having speed issues when changing voltage values.

I haven't found Digilent's demo projects particularly useful for anything that I wanted to do with the Eclypse-Z7. If you are competent in using an HDL design approach with the AMD/Xilinx tools it shouldn't be too hard to figure out a way to get your project done. Perhaps a bit less involvement of the PS and more work for the PL?

1 hour ago, zygot said:

I haven't found Digilent's demo projects particularly useful for anything that I wanted to do with the Eclypse-Z7. If you are competent in using an HDL design approach with the AMD/Xilinx tools it shouldn't be too hard to figure out a way to get your project done. Perhaps a bit less involvement of the PS and more work for the PL?

I was really just trying to avoid that approach but I suppose I could do it.  I am making a noise generator for speeds 1kHz to 4Mhz for reference, and it wouldve been much nicer to just write it in c programming.  The DAC doesn't like me keeping it in a while loops to simulate different frequencies.

Ill look into the HDL side of things, but Im hoping I dont have to reinvent the wheel here with getting it all set up..