Can't use Genesys 2 in Vivado ML Standard

Bradlez

Question

Hi. I'm trying to use Vivado ML Standard with my Genesys 2 board, however I am unable to create a new project using this FPGA. This is because Vivado ML Standard does not include support for that model of FPGA but only enterprise. However, the Genesys 2 comes with a voucher that lets me use this FPGA model. I've applied the voucher and installed the license onto my laptop successfully. Despite this, Vivado ML Standard still doesn't list this FPGA and hence doesn't list the board either. I've also applied the LOG4J fix on Vivado. Can anyone help me? I don't want to spend a lot of money on the enterprise edition, the board is already very expensive.

8 answers to this question

The ML Standard edition (formerly WebPACK) does not install device support for bigger parts. You will need to re-install the ML Enterprise edition with Kintex-7 support. The license you generated will be needed upon Synthesis or Bitstream generation.

Which version of Vivado did you install exactly, 2021.1 or 2021.2 ? Have you installed the board files while making a new project ? You can do so by clicking on the Refresh button in the lower left corner, then look for the Genesys2 board and press the Install button. 

image.thumb.png.3e7274c48186167091c02b24cc0300a0.png

Edited by thinkthinkthink

11 minutes ago, thinkthinkthink said:

Which version of Vivado did you install more precisely, 2021.1 or 2021.2 ? Have you installed the board files while making a new project ? You can do so by clicking on the Refresh button in the lower left corner, then look for the Genesys2 board and press the Install button. 

image.thumb.png.3e7274c48186167091c02b24cc0300a0.png

I did that before and once I installed it, it disappeared. My intuition is when it installed it, Vivado realises it's using an FPGA chip that's not allowed and consequently hides it. I also even added the boards myself into Vivado according to the starter guide.

My installation didn't include all of the FPGA chips, but I did make sure to include the Kintex-7 chips, so I doubt that's the issue either.

Oh you didn't install Kintex-7 support when you were prompted to by Vivado's installation procedure ? You can add it later without having to reinstall Vivado, if you're on windows look for Add Design Tools or Devices and then under 7 Series you can check the Kintex-7 box.

image.png.00f7b6665972fe597dd72785da6ec6fb.png

Oh sorry, missed the part where you said you did check the Kintex-7 box at installation, it's still worth doing this to make sure it really was added.

Edited by thinkthinkthink

5 minutes ago, thinkthinkthink said:

Oh you didn't install Kintex-7 support when you were prompted to by Vivado's installation procedure ? You can add it later without having to reinstall Vivado, if you're on windows look for Add Design Tools or Devices and then under 7 Series you can check the Kintex-7 box.

Oh sorry, missed the part where you said you did check the Kintex-7 box at installation, it's still worth doing this to make sure it really was added.

I think what happened is I only installed Vivado ML Standard by itself. Because I installed that, it probably only installed the Kintex-7 devices it was allowed to use. I'll reinstall everything again according to this guide I missed https://digilent.com/reference/vivado/installing-vivado/v2019.2 . I don't want to use up the trial of Vivado ML Enterprise though. I don't know how Vivado will react when I try to create a project and synthesize for an FPGA that's beyond standard edition.

1 hour ago, thinkthinkthink said:

Also I forgot to mention but I did find Add Design Tools or Devices in Vivado and I got an error saying some boot file has been tampered. I get the same error when trying to uninstall Vivado. I think the log4j fix messed that up.