Waveforms logic analyser trigger capabilities

leonvs

Question

I am a very satisfied user of Waveforms , using both an ADP3450 and a Digital Explorer.

What I do however mis are more flexible trigger capabilities for the logic analyser instrument. Perhaps I am overlooking something which is the reason for this post:

What I mis is the combination of different trigger possibilities to create combined, more complex triggers. I have made quite extensive use of the Intronix LogicPort logic analyzer and to illustrate what I mis below below I show the trigger setup dialogs from this tool.

As shown, two triggers can be defined, A and B, which can be combined in different ways. For instance trigger when a signal or group of signals has a defined value (0 or 1) for a specified time or in a specified time window, followed by a rising or falling edges on other signals. 

The flexible possibilities are illustrated by this dialog and it would be very helpful would Waveforms also offer such possibilities.

image.png.9effa3ad604fbc31f04997ab1b9c73ed.png

image.png.7b63563d6abfea397ac05a55e7d69cc2.png

4 answers to this question

Hi @leonvs

Beside simple (combination of edge and levels), pulse (glitch, timeout, more, counter) and protocol specific triggers are supported. There is also a hidden "advanced trigger" which is described in the SDK manual.
For state machine triggering the Pattern ROM logic could be used.

image.png.0cdc1967ad48d1511c94dd05a7cd0761.png

image.png.bf95e2b70c548e772e0a7ef48b1ed894.png

image.png.84b12126f8f06192497ef3c170910d95.png

Hello Attila,

thanks for your answer, I have been playing around with the ROM logic and must admit this offers great possibilities. I understand how this can be used for triggering. Regarding the Advanced trigger you mention I am a little lost, having a look at the SDK manual I could not find the required information. Would it be possible for you to give me a hint how to activate the dialog you mention?

Is there any chance WaveForms will be extended with advanced trigger capabilities?

Combinations of trigger events would be much appreciated like

- Edge occurs followed by specified pin(s) state within a specified time or after a specified time or within a time window

- The same when for instance a specific I2C address occurs after one or more other specified events like edges, state and so on

Such trigger capabilities are very useful for detecting errors which is not possible with the current trigger capabilities