Analog Discovery 2 not recognized on my M1 Mac 12.0.1 device tree

rolkon

Question

Dear Community,

I have connectivity troubles with my Analog Discovery 2 board. I am using a 2020 M1 MacBook Pro with MacOS 12.0.1 Monterey, and a UGREEN USB-C hub for the physical connection. My problem is that although my machine recognizes the USB hub, I do not see the AD2 board in the device tree at all. I have attached screenshots of my device tree without the hub and with the hub. If I connect the AD2 to the hub, my device tree does not change upon reloading. I've tried all kinds of esoteric combinations of restarting the machine with/without the AD2 connected, and I'm kind of at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tree_with.png

tree_without.png

8 answers to this question

Hi @rolkon

On modern OSs the Shutdown is similar to hibernation rather than full shutdown. Some information are retained for faster startup.
The OS Restart clears the cached drivers, apps...

Is the device detected/working with other computers?
Please try using the original cable or other cables you have at hand. Some cables may have shorter tips which can't be fully inserted in the device receptacle and doesn't make electrical contact.

@attila, thanks for the reply.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:56 AM, attila said:

Is the device detected/working with other computers?

Yes, it is. I have tested the completely same setup (same USB-C hub, same cables) on my colleagues' laptop, which runs Windows 10. The device got recognized in Windows' Device Manager without a problem. I did not check any further (install drivers etc.), because that did not seem necessary to me yet. Knowing that Windows is able to recognize the device led me to believe that it is not the fault of my hardware setup.

@rolkon

Just to confirm, have you tried connecting the AD2 directly to your 2020 M1 MacBook Pro without the hub to see if that makes any difference?

Can you provide the full part number for the UGREEN USB-C hub? I don't have a M1 MacBook Pro but I do have a 2021 M1 MacMini that I could try to replicate this with.

Thanks,
Michael

@malexander

I've been off the project for a while, I just noticed your message now. Thank you for offering to help.

On 12/9/2021 at 10:50 PM, malexander said:

Just to confirm, have you tried connecting the AD2 directly to your 2020 M1 MacBook Pro without the hub to see if that makes any difference?

No, I haven't. I only have a USB-A cable from my AD2, so I need the hub in order to connect it to the USB-C ports of my MacBook. I just googled, but haven't seen any Micro-USB to USB-C cables to connect the AD2 to my MacBook directly. Is this a thing?

On 12/9/2021 at 10:50 PM, malexander said:

Can you provide the full part number for the UGREEN USB-C hub? I don't have a M1 MacBook Pro but I do have a 2021 M1 MacMini that I could try to replicate this with.

That would be great! There is no part number on my USB-C hub unfortunately, but here is the link to the component:
https://www.ugreen.com/products/6-in-1-usb-c-pd-adapter-with-4k-hdmi

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Roland

@rolkon

I don't have a USB-C to Micro B cable but they do seem to exist: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Micro-Braided-Jacket/dp/B00UUBRX0Y/ref=asc_df_B00UUBRX0Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309818716690&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18000274225735162518&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033767&hvtargid=pla-475484999927&psc=1

I ordered the cable and the USB-C hub from Amazon to try with the 2020 M1 MacMini. Apparently Prime shipping is really slow these days... estimated arrival is Saturday the 8th. I'll try to look at this early next week.

Thanks,
Michael

@rolkon

I received both the cable and the USB-C hub. Waveforms has no issue detecting and communicating with the Analog Discovery II when it's connected through the USB C to Micro B cable or when it's connected through a USB A to Micro B cable plugged into the U Green hub on the 2020 M1 Mac Mini that's running Mac OS 11.6.1. I will upgrade it to 12.1 and see if it still works. Have you tried updating to 12.1?

Thanks,
Michael