Details needed about Analog Discovery Pro 3000 serie

BenJoe31

Question

Hi,

I'm planning the get an Analog Discovery Pro 3000, however I would need some details concerning what it can do.

The project I'm working on is meant to test a PZT motor in many configurations. To do this, I want to use a computer with a C# application that would do the automation of the different elements in the system. In the system, the Discovery 3000 would be used to supply the PZT motor, measure its impedance over a range of frequency with several signal amplitude, measure the power consumption while working, eventually regulate power consumption (adapt output voltage amplitude to reach a given power consumption) and measure the speed of the PZT motor thanks to an incremental sensor (2 IO channels).

Here are my questions:

• I've read on the forum that the scripts can be run on the device to reduce latency (see post attached). If it is, is there an example explaining it?

• Can a script loaded on the Discovery 3000 device be run through the C# SDK? Could I give run parameters to the script?

• Can the script return to the SDK only needed values? For example, in my case, the power consumption over a given time window.

• Can a script process the IO data in real time and generate a specific output? For example I have an incremental sensor with 2 digital output channels (square signals with frequency and phase depending on motor speed and direction). Can the script use the channels to extract the direction and speed of the motor and send only those values to the SDK? (direction and speed would be the "outputs" of the scripts)

• Would you think feasible to regulate the output amplitude of the signal generated in function of the measured power consumption (average over 1ms)?

• Can I set the impedance analyzer with a slow frequency sweep and select the sine's amplitude? For example, 1 second per kHz, and +-3Vpp sine. Then run another impendance analysis with +-5Vpp sine.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

On 5/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, attila said:

Hi @NorthTech

It could be done with custom application or Script but running this on the computer would have relatively high USB latency (milisecs).
A lower latency solution would be using the ADP 3000 series and running the app/script on the device with AXI latency (microsecs)

The best solution would be using Eclypse Z7 and ADC/DAC ZMod and HDL for this purpose (nanosecs)

Edited by BenJoe31
Question missing

1 answer to this question

Hi @BenJoe31,

I've read on the forum that the scripts can be run on the device to reduce latency (see post attached). If it is, is there an example explaining it?

The scripts are able to run faster when the Analog Discovery Pro 3000 series is booted into Linux mode and is running the SDK materials natively; the Linux image on the device (as I understand it) already has the needed dependencies and libraries installed, so you would just need to provide the script to the device, such as on a flash drive like this demo does: https://digilent.com/reference/test-and-measurement/analog-discovery-pro-3x50/linux-test-and-measurement-demo.

I'll need to do some additional research for your other questions.

Thanks,
JColivn