ADP3450 for Audio Analysis

Skylär Astaröt

Question

Hello people, I have in the Amazon shopping cart, the new Analog Analyzer ADP3450, it is the most complete to date, but I want to make sure that it will serve for the use that I will give it.

What I want to do is a complete analysis of the audio of my audio interfaces, both in analog and digital response, as complete as possible for industrial production, as shown in the image.

Possibility to analyze the signal with 24-bit depth, 768kHz for industrial environments, SDK for Matlab and the following list of measurements:

1. Acoustic Response
  2. Bandpass Level
  3. Bandpass Level Sweep IMD Frequency Sweeps Polar Plots
  4. Crosstalk Sweep, 1 Channel Driven Q-peak Noise
  5. Crosstalk Sweep, 1 Channel Undriven Input Sample Rate Regulated Frequency Sweep
  6. Crosstalk, 1 Channel Driven
  7. Crosstalk, 1 Channel Undriven
  8. Crosstalk, Custom Measurement
  9. DC Level
  10. DC Level Sweep
  11. Digital Error Rate
  12. Dynamic Range / SNR (AES17)
  13. Frequency Response
  14. IC testing for I2S, SPI, DSP, I3C, McASP, SLIMbus, custom
  15. IDM (Intermodulation Distortion)
  16. Impedance/Thiele-Small
  17. Interchannel Phase
  18. Jitter Level
  19. Level Ratio SNR
  20. Maximum Output Level
  21. Maximum Output per CEA-2006
  22. Measurement Recorder
  23. Modulated Noise
  24. Multitone Analysis
  25. Noise
  26. Noise Recorder
  27. SINAD (Signal-to-noise and distortion ratio)
  28. Stepped Frequency Sweep
  29. THD+N (Total harmonic distortion and noise)
  30. Transfer Function

Is it possible that I can modify the device for these kinds of solutions? either through Matlab or Labview with WaveForms SDK, and if it is possible to connect the equipment to be analyzed using BNC-Jack or BNC-Toslink Optical adapters.

My cordial greetings.

Digilent Audio Analysis.png

Edited by Skylär Astaröt
Toslink conector add

5 answers to this question

The AD3450 only has a 14 bit ADC in it. For repeated signals it can software enhance that up to 16 bits. But that's far shy of what you are looking for.

It sounds like a device more like the Audio Precision APx515 might be better suited for your needs (provided it has the dynamic range you need and you won't need a higher end model). The Quant Asylum QA402 may also fit the bill.

The AP 515 is the best option, but look at this !!

https://i.imgur.com/WG2gY1x.png

Do you think I would spend such a fortune for my recording studio? These are quality control laboratory equipment from factories like Focusrite, Yamaha, Roland, Antelope, AVID, etc ...

With that money I put together a great Pro Tools-based studio with a workstation.

I need something simpler and simpler to test my equipment, and then implement them in my DSP developments, I wish I had an industry behind me, but I have to accommodate my budget.

I hear your pain. I dabble in audio stuff which is why I'm aware of those solutions, but I don't own any :-). As you saw, the audio precision in particular is super expensive. Even used ones hold their value really well. It wasn't clear from your original post what your budget was. I also had no idea the audio precision was $7000. Ouch.

If you've never seen the Audio Science Review forum, there are number of people there whom assemble test rigs with much more affordable price points for doing these sorts of stuff. That's where I learned about the Quant asylum.

Good luck in finding the best trade-off with budget and capability.

Edited by cprosser

Just thinking this through...

Starting with 100MHz sample rate (but only about ~30MHz bandwidth) measurements and 14bits, down-sampling to 768kHz is a factor of about 130 (close to 128) which would allow you to increase the effective bit depth by a little more than 7 additional bits.  So that gets you up to between 21 and 22 bits, not 24 bits.  This would work better if there is a little high-frequency noise in your starting signal, at a magnitude of about 1/2 a bit (kind of like dither).  The result *might* be good enough, depending on your needs.  Or, to get to full 24 bits, that would be a decimation factor of 10, and 2^10 = 1024, which pulls it down to just over the standard 96kHz sample rate.  Other, off-the-shelf audio interfaces can do that with a lot less trouble (but whether any provides calibration quality at an affordable price is another question, which I cannot answer).