Differential outputs on Arty-A7 board with TMDS

qamesh

Question

Hello,
Hi, I am experimenting with differential outputs on the Arty A7. For this, I am using the 100MHz clock and have instantiated an ODDR then OBUFDS -- . I Have also looked through the 7-series Select-IO Resources User Guide and the only  differential I/O at 3.3V is  TMDS_33 IOStandard.

ODDR #(
.DDR_CLK_EDGE("SAME_EDGE"),
.INIT(1'b0),
.SRTYPE("SYNC")
)ODDR_CLKADC(
.Q(buff_local),
.C(buff_in),
.CE(1'b1),
.D1(1'b1),
.D2(1'b0),
.R(1'b0),
.S(1'b0)
);

OBUFDS #(
.IOSTANDARD("TMDS_33") // Specify the input I/O standard
)OBUFDS_inst (
.O(buff_out_p), // Diff_p output (connect directly to top-level port)
.OB(buff_out_n), // Diff_n output (connect directly to top-level port)
.I(buff_local) // Buffer input
);

The .xdc file has the following --

## Pmod Header JB
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN E15 IOSTANDARD TMDS_33 } [get_ports { buff_out_p }];
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN E16 IOSTANDARD TMDS_33 } [get_ports { buff_out_n }];

Pins E15/E16 are HR I/O banks [JB1/2] and they should work fine.

Synthesis & implementation are fine and I can generate a bitstream, but I see no output on these pins (just 0v)
I also tried to connect a termination resistor of 50 ohm pulled up to 3.3 V as recommended for FP_3.3_50 [OFF chip termination]. but it gives nothing...can anyone help me in this?

FP_3.3_50.png

Edited by qamesh
grammar mistake

7 answers to this question

I don't see anything wrong with what you've presented, in terms of using the IOSTANDARD. You are correct that TMDS_33 is the only available differential signalling for your board.

You might try starting off with an SDR output instead of a DDR output first. Your ODDR primitive should be a clock and dc balanced but perhaps isn't the best choice. Anyway, try connecting whatever is driving the _p side of the differential obuf with a single-ended obuf driving a different pin on the same PMOD as a sanity check.

It's a good idea to understand what TMDS is. It might be interesting to use a shift register that repeats a word as your data source.

Edited by zygot

You need to have external 50 Ohm pullups to 3.3V for TMDS to work as it's a current driver, but it looks like your problem is elsewhere in the code. Have you tried running a simulation to check that it works properly before you went for the hardware?

On 8/22/2016 at 9:07 PM, D@n said:

I also connected this 50 ohm resistor to each terminal (P terminal  and N terminal ) exactly as it looks in the attached photo , but I was not able to see anything on the oscilloscope . I think it is not a problem in the code itself. The simulation shows that there is an output signal.

@asmiThank you for the offer. 

I went with the project as simple as possible , where I only take a clk signal from a Clock Wizard and route it out as a differential output but even this didn't help. The other module top_led_test is just a counter that I check the status of the board through it by connecting it to one of the leds

top.vhd top_led_test.v

Edited by qamesh

I've verified your code in hardware with oscilloscope (I don't have A7, so I used my homemade Spartan-7 board, but it should be OK as all 7 series FPGA use mostly the same HW blocks) - it works just fine with external 56 Ohm (the closest to 50 Ohm through-holes I had laying around) pullups to +3V3. I got about 1.3 Vp-p on both outputs (40 and 20 MHz). Due to time constraints, I've only checked _p lines, but I'm sure _n lines work too. So look for errors in your external hardware/measurement setup. Use AC-coupled mode on a scope, connect scope's ground to the board's ground, and check that your resistors are wired properly.

Edited by asmi

Those are the correct primitives to use and 50ohm termination is required. Signals _P and _N should typically be swinging between 3.3V and 3.3V-0.5V. Differential swing between +0.5V and -0.5V. Vdiff_pp = 1V.

I am thinking you might be looking at the wrong pin with the scope. Connect the ODDR output to a secondary OBUF (LVCMOS33) to debug this further. Open the  implementated design and confirm placement.