I desperately need help

Kenechukwu Aniagboso

Question

I am almost done building this circuit as I have made every connection except the connection of the waveform genertors to the circuit to measure and record the amplitudes of Vin (between 10uF and ground) and Vout (between 10uF and Rl). My question is how do I connect the Analog 2 Discovery to my breadboard circuit (as seen below) in order to measure/record the values of Vin and Vout and to observe their respective magnitudes? Here are the following details to guide you when analyzing my ciruit to deduce a way to make the Wavegen connection: Rb1 = 22,560 ohms (22 kilo ohms in series with 560 ohms). Rb2 = 1400 ohms (1.2 kilo ohms in series with 100 ohms and 100 ohms). Re = 47 ohms. Rc and Rl = 1200 ohms. The figure below is my almost complete circuit connection (without Wavegen connections). You may zoom into the photo if you like.

Please may you use the markings on the Analog 2 Discovery (the component that contains markings such as T1, W1, V1 and so on) to display the connections to me. For example: You say something like connect V1 to 10uF capacitor or W1 to 10uF capacitor and so on. Also the transistor has a black head and may be difficult to spot in the picture. There are two 10uF capacitors in the circuitry and thay both have blue caps. Note: the capacitors being used have no polarity. In summary, please I just need to know how how to connect my Analog 2 Discovery to my circuit in order to measure Vin and Vout (and view their waveforms using the oscilloscope application on the Waveforms software that is already installed on my laptop) . I have tried to make the connection but I am not getting a reading on my oscilloscope application on my Waveform software. You can infer from the schematic (the first image in my question) and advise me on how to make the necessary connections to my Analog 2 Discovery. For example, just say "connect W1 to a terminal of the capacitor" and so on.

Here is the schematic and my partially connected circuit based on it. Again I repeat, please how do I connect my Analog 2 Discovery to the circuit in order to measure Vout and Vin. Please kindly list where the pinout markings of the A2 Discovery should be connected to on the circuit/breadboard. Thanks for your help in advance!

IMG_0142 (2).JPG

Screenshot (265).png

4 answers to this question

Hi @Kenechukwu Aniagboso,

This looks like a homework assignment to me, but the answer of where to connect the Analog Discovery 2 pins to measure the voltage in and voltage out points are directly in your schematic.

In terms of the actual physical connectivity since it sounds like this is what you are confused about, to measure Vout you would connect one of the analog input/oscilloscope pins (either 1+ or 2+) of the Analog Discovery 2 to a spot on the breadboard where one of the legs of C3 is connected to RL.
For the analog measurement of Vin, this will be at the same location (i.e. column of 5 pins) where the leg of C2 is not connected to anything else in the circuit. This same column will also be where you provide the waveform generator input (either W1 or W2).

I would also recommend that you attach the ground connections as well as the 1- and 2- of the Analog Discovery 2 to the ground rails that you have on your breadboard for a cleaner measurement on the oscilloscope channels.

Thanks,
JColvin

I am almost done building this circuit as I have made every connection except the connection of the waveform genertors to the circuit to measure and record the amplitudes of Vin (between 10uF and ground) and Vout (between 10uF and Rl). My question is how do I connect the Analog 2 Discovery to my breadboard circuit (as seen below) in order to measure/record the values of Vin and Vout and to observe their respective magnitudes? Here are the following details to guide you when analyzing my ciruit to deduce a way to make the Wavegen connection: Rb1 = 22,560 ohms (22 kilo ohms in series with 560 ohms). Rb2 = 1400 ohms (1.2 kilo ohms in series with 100 ohms and 100 ohms). Re = 47 ohms. Rc and Rl = 1200 ohms. The figure below is my almost complete circuit connection (without Wavegen connections). You may zoom into the photo if you like.

Please may you use the markings on the Analog 2 Discovery (the component that contains markings such as T1, W1, V1 and so on) to display the connections to me. For example: You say something like connect V1 to 10uF capacitor or W1 to 10uF capacitor and so on. Also the transistor has a black head and may be difficult to spot in the picture. There are two 10uF capacitors in the circuitry and thay both have blue caps. Note: the capacitors being used have no polarity. In summary, please I just need to know how how to connect my Analog 2 Discovery to my circuit in order to measure Vin and Vout (and view their waveforms using the oscilloscope application on the Waveforms software that is already installed on my laptop) . I have tried to make the connection but I am not getting a reading on my oscilloscope application on my Waveform software. You can infer from the schematic (the first image in my question) and advise me on how to make the necessary connections to my Analog 2 Discovery. For example, just say "connect W1 to a terminal of the capacitor" and so on.

Here is the schematic and my partially connected circuit based on it. Again I repeat, please how do I connect my Analog 2 Discovery to the circuit in order to measure Vout and Vin. Please kindly list where the pinout markings of the A2 Discovery should be connected to on the circuit/breadboard. Thanks for your help in advance!

As a guide for anyone willing to help, I made the following connections for my circuit but it still is not giving the desired waveforms:

a, W2 to the end of capacitor C2 that is connected to ground.

b, 2+ to the end of capacitor C2 that is connected to ground.

c, 1+ to the terminal of capacitor C3 that is connected to the load resistor.

d, 1- and 2- to the ground of my breadboard circuitry connection.

The attachments include my schematic and my circuit connection.

IMG_0151 (2).JPG

Screenshot (265).png

I've merged your new post with your original one.

I have not re-created the circuit you made, but I suspect the issue you are encountering is in these two lines:

a, W2 to the end of capacitor C2 that is connected to ground.

b, 2+ to the end of capacitor C2 that is connected to ground.

That end of capacitor should not be connected to ground; it instead should be connected to the voltage input (W2 based on what you selected) and the oscilloscope lead of interest (2+). The connection to ground is "behind" those connections, and is already taken care of within the Analog Discovery 2 hardware itself.

Thanks,
JColvin

On 11/15/2021 at 2:02 PM, JColvin said:

I've merged your new post with your original one.

I have not re-created the circuit you made, but I suspect the issue you are encountering is in these two lines:

That end of capacitor should not be connected to ground; it instead should be connected to the voltage input (W2 based on what you selected) and the oscilloscope lead of interest (2+). The connection to ground is "behind" those connections, and is already taken care of within the Analog Discovery 2 hardware itself.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks, your help was extremely helpful as I am getting the desired waveforms.