Nexys A7-100T PMOD Pin Functionalities Missing?

FPGA_Newb

Question

I've been reading through the documentation of this board compared to previous boards and it doesn't seem up to date. The functionality isn't clear for the pmods if they support certain protocols. The reference manual for the Nexys A7 doesn't list any functionality of the pmods whereas the Basys MX3 for example lists the pmod pin support. 

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

3 answers to this question

That's because those PMOD ports are connected to FPGA pins which can be reconfigured (inside the FPGA) for a lot of different functions/protocols while on the microcontroller those are wired to peripheral pins that only have a limited set of hard-wired functions. On an FPGA board you can make a custom design and be able to literally connect 4 different I2C devices to 1 PMOD port and have 4 different SCL and 4 different SDA lines (you'll need a bunch of wires but whatever). Basically you can customize those PMOD pins however you like/want/need.

Edited by thinkthinkthink

Thanks, I thought the fpga still only had certain remapping. I really don't have a lot of experience on this and it's not well explained in my fpga course or the reference manual. I was looking for table 5 mentioned in the Nexys A7 reference manual but it doesn't exist. I figured it was just an incomplete spec. I've only worked with a few microcontrollers and I'm trying to learn more about fpgas and how to configure these. 

Edited by beau