Changing Gain and multi-channel acquisition on MATLAB for AD2/AD Pro

spbhanus

Question

Hello all,

I need to use the AD2 / AD Pro for some analog/digital signal measurements. 

I have a few questions before I make the purchase.

1. Can I acquire both the Analog as well as Digital input channels simultaneously with MATLAB?
  2. Can I change the Gain of an Analog Channel from MATLAB? If so, how?
  3. After changing the gain, does the resolution of 14bit apply to this amplified value? i.e. if with 1X gain the input range is +-25V, and the 14 bits are mapped to this voltage range, Does making the gain 10X, make the 14bits map to the new range? i.e. +-2.5V? Thus increasing the precision of the system to low voltages?
  4. In my test setup I need to probe (2 analog) signals which will vary in terms of mV (lets say 1-2mVs) and 2 Digital signals simultaneously. Will I be able to measure these small signals with AD2 or AD Pro, If so, which one will be better?

3 answers to this question

Hi @spbhanus

1. The MATLAB DAQ toolbox plugin only supports Analog Discovery 1/2 and provides limited features.
However the WaveForms SDK which lets you to use all the features (including simultaneous analog/digital sampling) can also be used from MATLAB, see the following post:

2. Yes. With plugin like below and with SDK FDwfAnalogInChannelRangeSet
https://www.mathworks.com/help/daq/getting-started-acquiring-data-with-digilent-analog-discovery.html

3. See the specifications in the WF app Help or on the reference page

image.png.71d7cbf7c59e077a97174f40f6d48a0b.png

image.png.2fde002d031f2d944609942b13840035.png

4. For such low mV signals pre-amplification would be recommended.
The ADP3450/3250 low range is 2Vpk2pk ~130uV resolution and ~30mV with 16bit sampling at 31.25MHz or lower.
The AD2 low range has about 300uV resolution.

Hi @spbhanus

See the links in the earlier post:

On 10/22/2021 at 10:49 AM, attila said:

Hi @spbhanus

1. The MATLAB DAQ toolbox plugin only supports Analog Discovery 1/2 and provides limited features.
However the WaveForms SDK which lets you to use all the features (including simultaneous analog/digital sampling) can also be used from MATLAB, see the following post:

2. Yes. With plugin like below and with SDK FDwfAnalogInChannelRangeSet
https://www.mathworks.com/help/daq/getting-started-acquiring-data-with-digilent-analog-discovery.html