A few questions about the capabilities of the Digital Discovery instrument

vladoya

Question

Hello All,

I am considering buying 2 Digital Discoveries for a specific project. But first I need your help. I researched and read the documentation and the available resources but I am not sure if my use case will be possible to implement with these instruments. In general  I want to know if 2 digital discoveries can be triggered one from the other. I want to use them both as Logic analyzers on 64 channels combined connected to one DUT. So the following questions come to my mind and I need to be sure before buying:

1.       As I can see the WaveForms software can be used with only one instrument per window but it is allowed to open it several times. Can I use 1 pc to open 2 instances of the program but to connect each of the 2 digital discoveries instruments to each own instance of the program (one DD per window)? Will the instruments receive own usb com port and is possible to operate like that from one pc?

2.       Is it possible to trigger one of the digital discoveries by IO button from the other one and so they could both work together simultaneously and use all of the 64 combined channels of the analyzer?

3.       Can I use the pattern generator function at the same time as the logic analyzers?

My use case is very specific but I want to be able to use the two instruments simultaneously. To add IO button from the 1st DD which can trigger the second DD to send specific pattern from the pattern generator and the both instruments can record from the combined 64 channels of the logic analyzers.

Best regards!

Vlado

1 answer to this question

Hi @vladoya

1. Yes. Separate app needs to be opened to control each device.
Note that each device has its own oscillator so you may notice jitter/skew between devices specially at high frequency operations. 

2. Yes and no. The WF app Logic Analyzer supports up to 32bit samples.

3. Yes. The Pattern Generator and Logic Analyzers are independent logics in the device.