Genesys 2 not detected in Vivado Hardware Manager

Takemasa Tamanuki

Question

Hi, JColvin-san,

Many thanks for your detail comments.

Actually, I e-mail received lic-file from Xilinx. (I had not noticed that mail because that was posted in a mail-folder which I don't usually use it.)

The lic-file was copied to my Vivado-PC and finally, I success to generate a bitstream-file.

However, I can not program the bitstream-file to my Genesys2.

I am trying to program by USB (JTAG).

My PC is USB-cable connected to the JTAG-port (J17). (as set the JP4=USB, JP5=JTAG).

After execute [Open Target], [Auto connect], error is occurred and I can not program it.

[Labtools 27-2269] No devices detected on target localhost:…………

Also, device is not detected (Number of devices: 0)

I would appreciate it if you could give the solutions about this issue.

Thanks.

T. Tamanuki

image.png.2c93c3175b91766ecd7a71d0c15bd3aa.pngimage.png.5c88ea6bb860f9044e5a0c4267b95493.pngimage.png.d44defdeb219eb1f72372618689c38dd.pngimage.png.3165f8fe1d33beb0d85d87bc8c80ae2c.png

image.png

3 answers to this question

Hi @Takemasa Tamanuki,

I have split your question about detecting the Genesys 2 in the Vivado Hardware Manager into a new thread.

I don't know your exact setup and imagine you have done some of these things already, but have a few suggestions of things to try/things to check:

- Is the Genesys 2 powered on with a 12V power supply?
- Did you install the cable drivers as part of the Vivado download (it was a checkable box); if not you can install them by following the instructions on Xilinx's Answer Record here: https://support.xilinx.com/s/article/54382?language=en_US.
- It looks like you are using Windows. In the Windows Device manager, when you connect the Genesys 2 to the host computer, does "USB Serial Converter" appear in the with a Bus Reported Device Description of "Digilent USB Device", much like in the screenshot on this post, https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/21713-brand-new-basys-3-user-cant-get-vivado-to-see-it/#comment-62685?
- If you are not able to see it in the Windows device manager (or otherwise) I would recommend trying a different USB cable and/or different USB port. Sometimes a cable is only used for charging rather than data transfer and USB ports can die; I've had both options happen to me.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi, JColvin-san,

Thanks again for your detail comments.

> - Is the Genesys 2 powered on with a 12V power supply?

Yes.

>- Did you install the cable drivers as part of the Vivado download (it was a checkable box); if not you can install them

Since I did not install it, I installed it this time.

Install-file: “install_digilent.exe”  on  C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2020.2\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\digilent

Install to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Digilent (see attached figs. )

image.png.02ffb90ed1c44024afa529501277af38.pngimage.png.f51230c3cd2221c13a34083900a85a1c.png

> In the Windows Device manager, when you connect the Genesys 2 to the host computer, does "USB Serial Converter" appear in the with a Bus Reported Device Description of "Digilent USB Device", much like in the screenshot on this post,

“Digilent Adept USB Device” (<-- “Not Digilent USB Device”) are shown in the USB Serial Converter A and B, respectively (see attached figs.).

image.png.0855204e7da2871aae369b1778ae3500.pngimage.png.b9d4cd38c6f43ce4dd21e665ee237774.png

However, still same error-message of

[Labtools 27-2269] No devices detected on target localhost:…………

is shown.

I would appreciate your advice to solve it.

Thanks.

T. Tamanuki

I'd like to follow up on this topic, since I am experiencing a similar issue with a previously programmed Genesys2 board. I am using Vivado 2020.2.

I don't get the error messages shown above, but instead

refresh_hw_server
WARNING: [Labtoolstcl 44-27] No hardware targets exist on the server [localhost:3121]
Check to make sure the cable targets connected to this machine are properly connected
and powered up, then use the refresh_hw_server command to re-register the hardware targets.

Using openFPGALoader, I am able to confirm that the JTAG interface works, but no device seems to be found on the bus. How can I recover the Genesys2 board (a fairly new one, too, which has seen only 2-3 programming cycles to the SPIflash until now. To this point, the board loads the most recently programmed bitstream from the SPIflash without fault. Selecting JTAG as source for the bitstream will cause the FPGA to idle and wait for a bitstream to be provided via JTAG.

I am using Debian Linux (bookworm/12) and have had no issues flashing several boards an estimated total amount of 5000-10000 times in the last three years. This is the first board.

Update: after selecting JTAG programming mode via the jumper next to J16 and reinstalling the "drivers" (udev rules), the hardware manager in Vivado now returns a similar error as shown below. The USB cable is new out of the (Digilent Genesys2) box and this phenomenon has been observed on multiple computers with different USB cables.

image.thumb.png.0f7236489ea7e661c42ce7255449c3f9.png

Edited by tido