ADP3450: Serial Protocol spying and logging question

longboard

Question

Hello, I just purchased an ADP3450 module. I am currently trying to troubleshoot and isolate a somewhat rare I2C communications event in an embedded system and am hoping to use the ADP3450 to resolve the issue. I read some about the ADP3450's protocol analyzer "serial spying" capability. Will it be possible for me to log several hours worth of decoded I2C serial data using the ADP3450 to try and troubleshoot my system?

thank you

4 answers to this question

Hi @longboard

It is possible with Protocol/I2C/Spy and make sure to increase the "Max Lines" for long capture. For performance reasons this is by default limited.

image.png.435581a8730b7af2230298c1cbcd22ec.png

However such troubleshooting could result in a very long log which may be hard to parse.

I would rather recommend using the Logic Analyzer and triggering on the event or on the outcome.
Depending on the problem with I2C trigger (like on a value, NAK...), or using external trigger or other DIO line, or pulse width...
Then look for the pretrigger data to see what lead to or caused the issue.

Hi Attila,

Thank you for the information. That makes sense what you say regarding the difficulty in parsing a long log file. Would these log files be stored on my ADP3450 or can they be stored remotely if the ADP3450 is on the network?

That is a good point you make regarding the use of the Logic Analyzer and triggering on the event or outcome.

Thank you