Hello everyone. Learning to use the Discovery 2 to make fun projects.

Andrew S

Question

I am a software engineer and interested in doing some embedded projects with Pi.

I just purchased the Discovery2 and later a power supply from your company. However, I am having a OC problem and the device eventually turned off.

With the power supply connected to the Discovery2,  the USB cable connect to the PC,  and the fly wire connector plugged in
with no load on the other end, I start up waveforms. The unit is detected and the new workspace appears.

The center green led is blinking  and the status shown OK at the lower right. After a few seconds, the status changes from OK to OC and a dialog box appears with this message " "The Analog Discovery has stopped working due to overcurrent. Disconnect the high current components and press OK to restart.

Here is the additional info about my PC:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Release:        18.04
Codename:       bionic

installed:
digilent.adept.runtime_2.21.3-amd64.deb
digilent.adept.utilities_2.4.1-amd64.deb

2 answers to this question

Hi @Andrew S

Try using other USB socket, power USB hub or 5V auxiliary power supply.
You can also set this limitation to the max under device options or checking the "Disable the current limitation and allow up to 1A to be drawn from the USB port." in the message.

image.png.9358f0844cc3086d2c0e51973010ed98.png

Hi Attila,

I am attaching the connection diagram showing my system. Those solid blue components (AD2 and PS) are purchased from Digilent. As I understand, the default setting is that when the aux power supply is detected, power would not be drawing from the USB. So, I do not understand what is causing the overcurrent when attempting to start up

the waveforms. According to the reference manual, it is not recommended to disable the current limit. Why would I still need to disable the current limitation in my current system.

If possible, can you mark up my drawing (or provide a proper connection diagram) if there is a problem with my current setup.

Thanks.

ad2_connection_diagram.pdf