MS8217 DMM issue resolved

Jeff Brodhead

Question

Hello,

This is NOT a question, but intended to help anyone who owns an MS8217 DMM.

I bought an MS8217 DMM about a year ago.  I am happy with it and VERY happy to not be taking my $300+ Fluke to customer's shops (one actually found legs :( ).

Recently the MS8217 has been having difficulty remaining ON, when I change functions.  After learning to change the selector in just certain ways, to get from Vdc to Ohms, etc... it finally refused to work at all, so I opened the unit (only requires a mid to small philips screwdriver - remove the 5 enclosure back screws (one in the battery compartment) and then the 4 Printed Circuit Board (PCB) mounting screws, then lift the PCB out). 

Inside, I found that the contact array (contacts manufactured as pads on the PCB were coated with a thick (viscous) material, I assume WAS supposed to be dielectric grease, but could be some other lubricant with volatile components which evaporated over time. 

The material was so viscous, I could not wipe it off with a dry swab ("Q-tip"), so I used rubbing alcohol (91% isopropyl) on swabs and was able to dissolve the material - it took 3-4 clean swabs, each soaked in alcohol, to finally remove all of the material.  I repeated the process on the copper contacts embedded in the rotary knob (which contact the PCB).

Next I applied a thin coating of dielectric grease (dielectric grease is NON-CONDUCTIVE and prevents oxidation, but is not really a lubricant. 

I bought the grease at a local trucking supply company (Six Robblee's) - truckers apply the dielectric grease to the trailer lighting connectors, to keep their trailer lights working correctly.  I believe the light bulb grease you can buy in small tubes at the hardware store (to prevent exterior lights from corroding in the socket) would be as effective, though have not used it except on light bulbs)).

After reassembly, my MS8217 works like NEW!  Ten minutes saved me $32... [to paraphrase Gecko]

In spite of being a little slow on conversion (display updates) compared to my Fluke, at $32, the MS8217 is a wonderful buy!    I would certainly recommend it to anyone - hobbyists to technicians; anyone who needs to make measurements in the field, but doesn't want to worry about expensive equipment.  The temperature measuring accessories are a bonus!

1 answer to this question

Archived