usb sound card

josif

Question

Hallo Atilla,

My students and I are having a project trying to explore WaveForms with USB soundcard to it's maximum. We designed a simple OPAMP adapter and removed the blocking capacitor with the polarizing resistor at the microphone input. We expected to see the complete signal (DC+AC) on the oscilloscope, but the latest USB sound cards we obtained did not pass the DC voltage. An older sound card I had from 3-4 years ago did not block the DC signal.

Can you help us with this issue?

The old card reported to the "lsusb" command as: 0d8c:000e C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter (Planet UP-100, Genius G-Talk Cmedia), while the new ones as: 8086:0808 Intel Corp.

Thank you,

J.Kjosev

P.S. Regarding the triggering - we intend to add short high-amplitude pulses to the input signal at certain level of the output (eg. at zero crossing) and trigger the oscilloscope at this (much higher) level than the observed signal :)

1 answer to this question

Hi @josif

Sorry but I can't help.
Additional AC coupling may be in the amplification/filtering stages (if it has such) or in the main IC.

Last year I have also ordered something similar. I tried to modify the mono-mic input to be stereo line-in, since the IC in it (and the layout) had such capability but I had no luck. Probably it was disabled with some fuses or it was reprogrammed...

Archived