Cannot access OpenScope MZ

With the OpenScope MZ connected, when I start WaveForms Live, "localhost" edition, It shows the WaveForms Live logo and then goes to a black screen with "ADD A DEVICE" in the top center, an apparent menu button in the upper left, and two buttons in the lower left, "GETTING STARTED" and "TUTORIAL."  Clicking any of these buttons has no effect.  WaveForms Live appears to be waiting for a signal from the OpenScope MZ that never arrives.

If I try the WaveForms website version, it shows the logo for a few seconds and then goes to a blank white screen.  It appears to be waiting for something, too.  My internet connection is slow, so the "localhost" option is to be preferred.

I tried the procedure given tor recovering from corrupt firmware, but WaveForms Live was unresponsive to that as well.

Windows Device Manager shows "USC Serial Port (COM4)" with the OpenScope MZ connected, and not when the device is disconnected..

I have tried several different USB cables, all of which were known to work with other devices.  The fact that the COM port shows up in Device Manager would indicate that the cable is OK.

I am using Internet Explorer on Windows 10.

Hi @JShort,

I believe you will need to use a different browser. From what I have tested, you'll need to use either Chrome or Firefox. Internet Explorer didn't work at all for me and the Microsoft Edge browser would occasionally crash on my Windows 10 machine, though I am uncertain if that is from it not being directly compatible with WaveFormsLive.com or a different problem.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello JColvin,

I tried Edge, and it worked.  My internet connection is slow, so I am using the "localhost" edition.  I don't know if I will experience occasional crashes with that, but I got it working for now.

I could not do the firmware update.  WaveForms Live complained that it could not download the latest version because of my firewall.  I have the McAfee security software; what settings do I need to change to allow this?

Alternatively, it was suggested that I could use a "local hex file."  I saw where I could download the firmware in hex format.  How do I use it to upgrade the firmware?  This might be preferable to upsetting my firewall.

Thank you.

JShort

Hi @JShort,

You could use the .hex file that is available on the right hand side of the OpenScope MZ Resource Center, https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/instrumentation/openscope-mz/start. If you are loading a .hex file from waveformslive.com, I must emphasize that you use the .hex file without a bootloader. The board will be bricked and unusable if you use the other one (it only works with an external programmer).

Once the OpenScope MZ is connected, you can go to the Configuration options, choose update firmware, and then select other to upload the .hex file. This is shown a bit more in our guide here: https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/waveforms-live/update-firmware.

Thanks,
JColvin

• 2 weeks later...

Archived