USB Power Issue

Dave Canfield

Question

I purchased the Electronics Explorer a couple months ago and when I  tried to use it for the first time last week, I kept getting an error that "There was a power surge on the USB port.  Unknown USB device needs more power than the port can supply. "  I had the 12 volt power supply plugged in, so I am not sure what I need to do.  
I did notice that when I first tried to plug the USB plug into the board, it was very difficult to plug in, like something was blocking it.  After a second try, it seemed to go in okay, but then I started getting the above error.  
Please let me know what my options are for getting this fixed.  Thank you,
David Canfield

4 answers to this question

Dave,

Just wondering if the problem is the USB power supply.  Will the device work with a more traditional desktop computer?  Another option might be to use a powered USB hub.  (Yeah, I know, I would've thought the dock would've been that ...)

Dan

Unfortunately I suppose the USB plug is damaged.
Could you replace it locally?

The micro USB is difficult to plug in reversely until the inner connector breaks off. Then you will get no connection or shortstop.

The Electronics Explorer board is powered from the 12V supply. The USB voltage only drives the yellow LED.

Archived