Hardware manager can't find Cmod S7

KyoungTae

Question

Hi! I just started using digient boards and I'm trying to learn by myself so this might be a silly problem, but I can't find a way for vivaldo's hardware manager to find my board. And Digilent adept can't find it either.

capture1.PNG.f65e0310b14be9ea8ee0549acb8b0761.PNG

I'm using digient Cmod S7 board and vivado 2019.2 on windows 10 64bit. When I connect it to my computer, the led on the board comes on so I don't think the board is broken.

I think it is a driver problem since I can't find 'USB serial converter' A nor B. capture2.PNG.162629f910621ece036cfa40b956ab5c.PNG

It is korean, but you can see there is no USB serial converter in device manager even though the board is connected by usb.

I tried looking for driver but I can't find one. 

VCP Drivers from FTDI chip dosen't work, C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2019.2\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\digilent only has "install_digilent.exe" witch dose nothing I can tell, C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2019.2\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\dcl_win10 also dosn't have anything of interest.

Please help me. I hope I just mistaken something simple and can be fixed.

7 answers to this question

Hi @KyoungTae,

My first guess would be that the USB cable that you are using is just for charging/power and not also for data, so I would recommend trying a different USB cable. A lot of cables that come with phones tend to only be for power and not for data.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

2 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @KyoungTae,

My first guess would be that the USB cable that you are using is just for charging/power and not also for data, so I would recommend trying a different USB cable. A lot of cables that come with phones tend to only be for power and not for data.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thank you for the fast reply. But I did check if the cable was power only, and it wasn't. Any more suggestions?

Hi @KyoungTae,

I'll still recommend trying a different cable; you'd be surprised at how many times this has resolved connectivity issues on the Digilent forum alone. A couple of other easy checks would be to try a different USB port on your computer.

When you attempted to install the cable drivers, I presume you followed the directions for running the batch file that is provided in this Xilinx Answer Record?

And I imagine you are doing this correctly considering an LED on the Cmod S7 turns on, but in the interest of ruling it how, can you provide a picture for how you are attaching the cable to the Cmod S7? I've seen a number of cases where the cable is plugged in upside down which will not allow for any communication.

I doubt this is the case since based on what you described you are just using a USB cable, but is there a "Programming Cables" dropdown listed in your device manager with something like Xilinx USB Cable?

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks,
JColvin

4 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @KyoungTae,

I'll still recommend trying a different cable; you'd be surprised at how many times this has resolved connectivity issues on the Digilent forum alone. A couple of other easy checks would be to try a different USB port on your computer.

When you attempted to install the cable drivers, I presume you followed the directions for running the batch file that is provided in this Xilinx Answer Record?

And I imagine you are doing this correctly considering an LED on the Cmod S7 turns on, but in the interest of ruling it how, can you provide a picture for how you are attaching the cable to the Cmod S7? I've seen a number of cases where the cable is plugged in upside down which will not allow for any communication.

I doubt this is the case since based on what you described you are just using a USB cable, but is there a "Programming Cables" dropdown listed in your device manager with something like Xilinx USB Cable?

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hmm....

I did try running the batch file and got some questions.

after running "install_drivers_wrapper.bat <Vivado install path>\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64 C<Vivado install path>\install.log <Vivado install path>\" I get

WARNING: Ignoring unknown argument CC:\Xilinx\Vivado\2019.2\install.log
WARNING: Ignoring unknown argument C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2019.2\

am I doing some thing wrong????

Also after running the program log says windrvr6 is not installed. Is it essential?

capture3.thumb.PNG.ec822bd92e5699cc1b1db7115e720df1.PNG

I think I got the cable direction correctly since it is running the default program(4leds turning on and off sequentially & RGB LED rotating B ->G->R->OFF)

1644689166_cmodS7.jpg.66700fb1a8ae4479356f4b60c8a0a542.jpg

I did use a couple of cables but I will try a new cable just in case:)

I really appreciate the feedback I'm getting.

Hi @KyoungTae,

Hmm, the hardware on the board is working as you are seeing the out-of-box program that is loaded onto the flash. I know you said the VCP drivers from FTDI didn't directly help, but as a confirmation, you choose the latest version, 2.12.28 for 64-bit Windows? It may also be worth to update the Adept system for Windows (available here: https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/adept/start) since I don't believe Xilinx uses the latest version.

This will seem like a dumb suggestion, but have you tried restarting your computer? I recall now that both a co-worker and myself have run into an issue where a known working board refused to be detected, but a restart of the PC got it working again for reasons unknown to me.

I'm not certain on your commands; my Vivado versions are installed on a separate drive so I always have to do extra fighting with it to get it to work properly since a lot of the various batch scripts and that sort of thing are looking for default install directories (i.e. C drive) inevitably leading to my non-computer science oriented degree to bite me in the lack of knowledge on that side of things. </end of digression>

I don't know why the Xilinx answer record doesn't do this, but you should be able to just use "install_drivers_wrapper.bat" without the quotes to install the drivers. The other commands I presume are to specify where you want the install log, but the output of the command prompt will tell you where the log is placed anyway.

I don't think windrvr6 is needed since all of the posts that I have seen regarding this (both on the Digilent Forums and Xilinx Forums) were with regards to the Xilinx Platform Cable USB II, which you are not using (and I don't believe it's normally installed with Windows 10 by default, it's a hold-over from older versions of Windows).

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

I have solved(?) the problem. In short, I downloaded Vivado on my labtop, not my desktop. And it worked. What an anticlimactic result.

My labtop also runs on Windows10 and using 2019.2 ver of Vivado. Didn't do anything else and when I pluged the board it connected!

I guess USB port of my original computer was the problem? since everything from the program to the device itself is the same. But I did try every port I had on it and still didn't work.

It sucks I can't use the more powerful machine for programming, but it will do the job for now:)

Thank you for the feedback and support. It helps a lot for someone like me.

Sincerely,

KyoungTae

Hi @KyoungTae,

It could be? The Cmod S7 doesn't draw that much power since I know for other boards that need more power you occasionally want to use a powered USB Hub, but I had ruled out that option since the Cmod S7 is a much smaller board.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived