waveforms migration to waveforms 2015

twilkers

Question

I'm using the original analog discovery module and have captured scope plots that I want to play out using the waveform generator.  I could do this with the older software, v2.62 but after upgrading to waveforms 2015 (v3.26) I cannot seem to do the same thing.  or maybe I just haven't found the right way to go about it in waveforms 2015.  

I have a csv file that I have previously converted from the scope capture. 

1.  How can I play out the waveform using the csv file (file attached)?

2.  How can I read old scope captures in waveforms 2015 (file attached)?

thanks,

tim

field data test 1.csv

4_6_2016 field data with comparator input and board input ch2 take 5 with glitch.dwfscopedata

11 answers to this question

Hello,

This can be realized with WaveForms 2015 similar as with the earlier software.

The Play mode is intended for streaming out large number of samples, more than the 4/16k device buffer, like an audio file.
For small number of samples use the custom waveform.

1. You can find the Wavegen custom waveform (new or import) under type options or the custom configuration mode. For play you have the "Import to Play" and play configuration mode.

2. See the File/ Export menu in Scope (to save acquisition data or opened view data, like FFT, Histogram, ), options under each channel menu (to export only one channel samples), View/ Logging (to automate export process)

img1.png

img2.png

img3.png

Use CSV files to transfer data between the two version of software as you had in the first post.
The dwfscopedata file is actually is compressed file containing many information beside the samples. This is only supported by old WF (v2) Scope tool.

The workspaces, project and data files (dwf*, dwfscopedata...) of WaveForms (v2) are not compatible with WaveForms (v3) 2015 (dwf3*).

good to know a csv intermediate file needed to get from old captured data to new. 

1.  can old waveforms coexist with waveforms 2015?  the new version over wrote the old one.

2.  regarding csv file previously posted, this is what I see.  maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I sort of expected the sample number to be plotted as the x axis and the second column to be plotted as the y axis. 

seems it plotted column 1,2 as the x and y axis respectively, thus the 45 degree line.  I actually want the C2 column.

do I need to manipulate the csv file to get this?

thanks for your help,

tim

1. https://reference.digilentinc.com/waveforms3
Note: In order to have installed at the same time the new software (v3, 2015) and the earlier one please (v2) install the last version of this,WaveForms v2.9.4
Only one application can be connected to a device at a time.

2. In Scope acquisition export CSV file the first column is by default the time label.
Having in export the headers checked (by default), the import should detect the Time column and preselect the next column from the CSV file.
In case you see a 45* line this is probably the time column. Select the proper channel in the import wizard.

Hi Attila,

thanks for all your help.

I downloaded the 2.9.4 version, when I get to the path screen, the text says to install to a different folder use the browse button.  Unfortunately the browse button is greyed out and I cannot select it. 

tim

I now have a waveform recorded with waveforms 2015.  I can manipulate this original waveform in magnitude, frequency and offset (which is great!).  I observe frequency jitter which I believe is introduced as the waveform is looped using the fixed number of captured samples. 

This is voltage data from a 3 phase turbine, a mechanical system, so I strongly suspect the observed discontinuities are a measurement artifact and not present in the real system. 

Is there an easy way within waveform 2015 to trim the file to a fixed number of cycles to better represent the real world?  Or do I need to do this trim inside excell before import?

The install path for "Digilent Software" can be specified when installing the first application. The WF v2.9.4 and WF (v3) 2015 are installed different folders inside the digilent path.

In WF 2015 the number of samples to capture can be specified under Time options (gear) menu.
The selected samples can also be copied (Ctrl+C) from Data view or Export dialog table, then pasted in other applications.
In the Wavegen import and Scope Reference import wizard the "first" and "count" of samples to load can be specified.

Archived