Arduino IDE & chipKit core problem

cantrade

Question

I was using MPIDE. Since it is no longer supported and the Arduino IDE is now merged with chipKit core I downloaded Arduino IDE v 1.6.8 and included the latest chipKit core with it.  I use this set up to change the software for a small transceiver and tried to upload a new program but I get pages of the following types of error messages:

sketch/chipkit-core/pic32/libraries/IM8720Adapter.c:348:5:error: EMAC1MRDDbits' undeclared (first use in this function)

while(((EMAC1MRDDbits.MRDD & scanMask) ==scanMask) !=fISEqual)

This looks pretty complicated for a user at my humble level and I am stuck finding the solution for this problem.

I can compile and upload the original program but not the new updated version that I want to try with my radio.  The system uses a Uno32 board.

Anyone ever seen this stuff?

KM5XK

4 answers to this question

Hi cantrade, 

Which demo are you trying to use? From my experience, those errors usually mean that a library hasn't been included in the sketch, but you apparently have gotten this to work just fine before with the Uno32 and (presumably) MPIDE.

Thanks,
JColvin

Here's what I did now.  I downloaded a replacement for the Arduino IDE 1.6.8 and also downloaded the application code.  The program compiles with some new errors but nothing like the list before.  I agree that a library was misplaced somehow and that was causing the problem.  Now, however, I cannot upload the compiled program to the UNO32.  I get a "no target found" error.  This happens with two different UNO32 boards and simple programs like Blink.  I have looked into the pic32prog issue and the bootloader threads but I have not come up with a definite solution that fits my situation.  I have never had to fool with reprogramming a bootloader before and do not feel comfortable doing that.  Also, the pic32prog replacement suggested by Serge V. seems to be a Windows solution and I use OS X.  

Thanks for your help with this.  

KM5XK

Hi cantrade,

It took me a little while, but I think I have reproduced your problem. 

What I think happened is that you added the chipKIT Core to the Arduino IDE as outlined here getting the .json file listed, at which point you are then able to select your Uno32 board in the "Tools" tab, but nothing happens. If I'm reproducing your problem correctly, what you need to do next is then go Tools->Board: -> Boards Manager... and scroll down to the chipKIT boards. You then have the option to select a version (currently just 1.1.0) and install the board files.

If all goes well, this should eliminate the "no target found" error.

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello, Mr. Colvin

I performed the steps as you suggested and everything worked o.k.  I used IDE 1.6.7 and have not gone back to try 1.6.8 yet.  I thought the 1.1.0 files were installed already but who knows.  

Thanks for all of your attention to this problem.  

Don, KM5XK

Archived