any ready Linux image for Zybo

oxbabi

Question

Hi All,

I am pretty new to embedded Linux, I am trying to setup virtual machine to make image. In meanwhile I was wondering if there is any available Linux image just to write it to SDcard and play with and learn basic Linux commands and etc. I mean just pure Linux image and without PL configuration.

I appreciate if anybody could share his/her Linux image.

Thanks, Babi 

4 answers to this question

Hi Babi, welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I tried to post this yesterday but the forum was down.

You have a few options available to you. First, you can google "Zybot" and run through the instructables that you find until you have a working version of Linaro Ubuntu (then stop following the tutorial since you don't want to make the robot). This might be the closest to what you are looking for, since it will provide a very "typical" linux experience that allows you to install any software that would work in a desktop Ubuntu system using apt-get (or other methods). The following other ways (yocto and petalinux) for building a ZYBO image are a bit more advanced but allow you to cross-compile a linux system, which is useful for when you want to start writing your own linux programs.

We haven't quite posted The yocto and petalinux BSPs on the ZYBO resource center yet, but they will be up there soon. They are available, though, directly from our github. You can get instructions on building a petalinux image for the ZYBO here:

https://github.com/Digilent/petalinux-bsps/wiki/Quick-start-guide

The other option is to use Yocto to build your ZYBO Linux image. Instructions for doing this can be found here:

https://github.com/Digilent/meta-manifest/wiki/Quick-start-guide

I think building the yocto image would be the more suitable for what you are asking for than petalinux. Just build the default "core-image-sato" and "dd" (google it) the generated "sdimg" file to an SD card. Then you are good to go. You won't be able to use apt-get but you can install a lot of common programs/libraries simply by appending the following line to the local.conf file (this example would install alsa-utils):

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " alsa-utils"
To see a full list of available "recipes" (such as alsa-utils) run bitbake -s. This is all documented in the link above.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:01 PM, sbobrowicz said:

Hi Babi, welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I tried to post this yesterday but the forum was down.

You have a few options available to you. First, you can google "Zybot" and run through the instructables that you find until you have a working version of Linaro Ubuntu (then stop following the tutorial since you don't want to make the robot). This might be the closest to what you are looking for, since it will provide a very "typical" linux experience that allows you to install any software that would work in a desktop Ubuntu system using apt-get (or other methods). The following other ways (yocto and petalinux) for building a ZYBO image are a bit more advanced but allow you to cross-compile a linux system, which is useful for when you want to start writing your own linux programs.

We haven't quite posted The yocto and petalinux BSPs on the ZYBO resource center yet, but they will be up there soon. They are available, though, directly from our github. You can get instructions on building a petalinux image for the ZYBO here:

https://github.com/Digilent/petalinux-bsps/wiki/Quick-start-guide

The other option is to use Yocto to build your ZYBO Linux image. Instructions for doing this can be found here:

https://github.com/Digilent/meta-manifest/wiki/Quick-start-guide

I think building the yocto image would be the more suitable for what you are asking for than petalinux. Just build the default "core-image-sato" and "dd" (google it) the generated "sdimg" file to an SD card. Then you are good to go. You won't be able to use apt-get but you can install a lot of common programs/libraries simply by appending the following line to the local.conf file (this example would install alsa-utils):

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " alsa-utils"
To see a full list of available "recipes" (such as alsa-utils) run bitbake -s. This is all documented in the link above.

Hello sbobrowicz,

Question:  The github link for petalinux you gave above, does that require Linux host to be any particular platform/vendor/release?

Thanks!

DanD

Checkout the 2015.4 petalinux documentation from Xilinx:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/petalinux2015_4/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf

It is very thorough and describes how to do all sorts of tasks. Our BSP will work for the tasks they walk through in that guide (make note of the known issues and the important notes included in our quick start guide though). 

Checkout page 10 for Petalinux Host OS requirements. I use petalinux on my fedora 22 system even though it isn't listed as supported. That said, I wouldn't recommend this unless you are comfortable finding your own workarounds for OS related problems that may arise. The easiest experience will probably be with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Archived