JTAG-SMT3-NC UART usage

tgvho

Question

I'm concidering adding a JTAG-SMT3-NC to my next design so I can have access to both the UART and the JTAG interface.

Hoever, it is not clear how to use the UART. I've read over the ADAPT2 API and the SMT3 documentation pages, but it's not very clear to me.

So,

What drivers are needed?

Does the device enumerate itself as a serial device so that it can be used with standard OS serial device utilities (I'm guessing a virtual com port driver)?

How does one set the baud rate? For example, if I want to use this as a data dump debugger at the megabuad rate, how would I go about enumerating the serial device?

2 answers to this question

Hi @tgvho,

The FTDI drivers for the JTAG-SMT3 automatically download and enumerate as a virtual com port that can be used with standard OS's.  Most terminal applications have a configuration menu for setting baud rate, flow control, etc. If not,  in Windows you would open and select properties of the associated com port in the device manager. You can then set the baud rate as shown in the attached screen shot below. In Linux or OSX the driver is automatically loaded and that usage is just like any other COM port in those operating systems. 

best regards,

Jon

JTAG_SMT3.jpg

@"The FTDI drivers for the JTAG-SMT3 automatically download and enumerate as a virtual com port that can be used with standard OS's."

I don''t know what do You mean by "standard OS"

I have W10 1903 and only what i see is: Enhanced com port and Standard com port. Both doesn't work. Windows update can't find correct drivers. Driver provider, date, version: not available.

Should we simple download FTDI drivers from FTDI.com website?

For linux I had to run driver installation script from vivado drivers folders, otherwise it didnt work for me.

Archived