ICD 4 with UECIDE?

D4ILYD0SE

Question

Quick context: I designed new board using the ProMX7 as a reference.  I designed it to specifically use the ICD4.  I did not design any of the USB items into it, specifically the UART option for programming via Arduino IDE or UECIDE after flashing the appropriate HEX.  It's too late into the project to add a USB option.

Question: Am I restricted to MPLab X IDE to use the ICD 4?  I've been using UECIDE at the moment with the Pro MX7 and have gotten pretty far in the code but I'm starting to wonder if this is a dead end as I will need to program it all in MPLab.  Meaning different boot loader and etc.  This would be a non-issue except for the available TCP examples in UECIDE preventing any need to re-invent the wheel.  Thoughts?  Musings? Concerns? Further explanations?  Answers?  Appreciate any and all help.

4 answers to this question

Hi @D4ILYD0SE,

Those of us here at Digilent aren't familiar with the ICD 4, so we won't be of much help in that regard in terms of it's usage. I'm not familiar with the TCP examples in UECIDE (or UECIDE since Digilent uses the Arduino IDE with the Digilent Core), but presuming it's similar, it should produce a .hex file that you can then load onto your board so the examples with TCP could be created and then have file loaded by MPLAB X. This won't have the bootloader portion if it as you mentioned, but it could be useful for you.

@Larry Standage might know a bit more with regards to what is programming environment is compatible with ICD 4, though I will let them speak for themselves on that point.

Thanks,
JColvin

As far as I can tell, the UECIDE TCP examples are verbatim what they are in Arduino IDE.  UECIDE supposedly a modern version of MPLAB so it's apparently specifically designed for CK/Digilent stuff.

Anyways, I was able to build a hex in the UECIDE and upload it onto my ProMX7 through the Debug Chip via MPLab.  If I can do that, I'd imagine that means the ICD 4 would work just the same.

The next big question: do you know where the chip clock portions are in which .h file?  I'm guessing the p32xxxx.h file while I am currently digging through, but it looks like there are more header layers to be digging.

Hi @D4ILYD0SE,

I don't know for certain what you are looking for with regards to the chip clock portions but WSystem.c for me (at least in the pic32 cores) defines how the peripheral bus clock is calculated and has the readCoreTimer function, so that might be a good place to start looking.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived