Cora Z7 - Booting - Terminal

Zhanneta

Question

Hello,

I am trying to boot up linux on Cora Z707. I am using the base projects for Vivado (https://github.com/Digilent/Cora-Z7-07S-base-linux/) and petalinux (https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Cora-Z7-07S/archive/v2017.4-1.zip) provided by Digilent.

I followed the following steps:

0. Generate project and CD into the new project directory (petalinux-create -t project -s <path to .bsp file>)

1. Format microSD card to FAT filesystem partition (1 GB FAT32, 31 GB EXT4)

2. Copy _pre-built/linux/images/BOOT.BIN_ and _pre-built/linux/images/image.ub_ to the first partition of your SD card

3. Create a new file on the microSD card called uEnv.txt. Add the following line to the file, replacing the MAC address as found on the board's sticker, then save and close it: ethaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

4. Eject the SD card from your computer and insert it into the Cora Z7

5. Short the MODE jumper (JP2)

6. Attach a power source and select it with JP3 (note that using USB for power may not provide sufficient current)

7. If not already done to provide power, attach a microUSB cable between the computer and the Cora Z7

8. Open a terminal program (Tera Term) and connect to the Cora Z7 with 115200/8/N/1 settings (and no Hardware flow control)

9. Press the SRST button to restart the Cora Z7. You should see the boot process at the terminal and eventually a root prompt. 

I got to step 9 and I am able to see Cora Z7 as one of my serial ports, but I don't see the boot process. Later I was able to get an SDK application running on Cora Z7 and I was able to see that over terminal with 921600 baudrate.

What do you think is the issue with the terminal and boot process? Why am I not able to see it and log in into the system? Do you have any suggestions for tackling this issue?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Kindest regards,

Zhanneta

3 answers to this question

I figured out why it wasn't working...On Digilent github, it said to only copy _pre-built/linux/images/BOOT.BIN_ and _pre-built/linux/images/image.ub_ to the SD card. Instead, I copied all the files in the  _pre-built/linux/images/ directory and the bitstream to the SD card. It's working now and I see the boot process in my UART terminal.

Archived