Pmod DA3 clocking

Ahmed Alfadhel

Question

Hi @jpeyron

Kindly see the attached picture.

I have the following clocking options:

MIG_7series/ui_clk :83 MHz

clk_wiz_0/clk_out_1 : 166 MHz

And I want to feed my Pmod DA3 with the desired clocking rate. But I don't know what to choose from these clocks?

So could you help me in choosing the right clock for the two pin of Pmod DA3 ?

Thanks .

PmodDA3.JPG

Hi @Ahmed Alfadhel,

Looking at the Datasheet for the AD5541A here.The AD5541A operates at clock rates of up to 50 MHz and is compatible with SPI, QSPI, MICROWIRE, and DSP interface standards.  I believe the highest frequency would be 50 MHZ for the ext_spi_clk.  Its my understanding that we use the MIG_7series/ui_clk :83 MHz clock due to issues relating to the MIG/DDR.  I would also suggest looking at the AXI Quad SPI v3.2 LogiCORE IP Product Guide.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @Ahmed Alfadhel,

@kwilber is correct.

I heard back from our content team. My guess was incorrect. We are using AXI4 Lite so it's definitely not XIP mode, since there is a "MODELPARAM_VALUE.C_XIP_MODE" parameter in the XCI files that is set to 0. They are under the understanding that we are using Legacy Mode .

thank yo,u

Jon

Hi @jpeyron,

According to the selection of 50 MHz as a clock signal for both ext_spi_clk and s_axi_aclk ,  then we have  synchromous clocking for these two signals. 

Then the value of Async_Clk must be set to 0 . But I found in PmodDA3_axi_quad_spi_0_0.xci  the property Async_Clk was set to 1 (not a default value !) on line 83 and 106 .

Looking forward your reply .

Thanks in advance.

Async_Clk.JPG

2b.JPG

The address bits being sent should not pose a problem since ~LDAC gets pulled low after the data bits have been sent and that will transfer the last 16 bits clocked into the serial register to the DAC.

Admittedly, since the chip doesn't use the address bits, it is wasted time.

That is one of the cons when using third party IP - generality usually costs either performance or resources.

If you run into performance limitations, you would then consider coming up with your own logic for talking to the chip. In this case, the protocol is fairly simple. 

Hi @Ahmed Alfadhel,

In the testperiph.c the DemoInitialize() needs to be at the top of main. You need to have a function prototype for DemoInitialize()  as well.  I would also suggest making your main.c easier to use.  Something similar to the attached pmodda3_main.c below. You will need to create the function DA3_WritePhysicalValue. Use the PmodDA1.c and PmodDA1.h as reference. 

thank you,

Jon

pmodda3_main.c

Hi @jpeyron,

21 minutes ago, jpeyron said:

pmodda3_main.c

did you test this Pmod (DA3) with the above piece of code previously? Or I am going the first one to test it using the IP core you gave me ?

I want to know what is I am doing . Working with a validated third IP core or I am just testing some IP core that was built roughly ?

Thanks.

You may not have to build your own.

That becomes a design decision that only you can make based on the requirements/specifications your design must meet.

If the performance you are getting out of the Digilent IP meets your requirements, there is no reason to roll your own.

On the other hand, if you are not able to meet your requirements and you are running up against limitations of the IP, then either look for a more performant IP or consider designing purpose specific logic.

According to your measurements, it takes 40 bits sent at a rate of 3.125 Mhz for each update of the DAC. That is at least 12.8 microseconds per update. Take the inverse of that and you have a maximum update rate of 78,125 updates/second. Is that sufficient for your design?

Hi @Ahmed Alfadhel,

We have not had the bandwidth to create an IP core for the PmodDA3 as mentioned when I posted the generic SPI IP core Named PmodDA3. This IP core facilitates the usage of the pmod ports along with constraints so as all you should have to do is alter the PmodDA3.c PmodDA3.h and create a main.c. The PmodDA3_main.c is not validated. It would be the first draft when starting to create the custom functions needed to send desired output. 

thank you,

Jon 

Archived