read/write 32bit registers using jtag-HS2

Roya

Question

XSCT terminal in xilinx sdk has tcl command mwr(address,data)/mrd(address)  which is transmitted over onboard jtag interface. (we are using VCU 118)

later we are targeting a synopsis based IP.

we bought the JTAG HS-2 in order to prepare our selves for the chip bring up.

In the API we already learned and executed samples being able to go into IR and DR state using DjtgPutTmsTdiBits, DjtgPutTmsBits commands.

We are missing the part of how to create mwr/mrd commands from  IR DR elements.

Can someone help providing some more reading material, samples which will help us to have some progress ?

we are not sure if we will be able to read registers from xilinx fpga board, will the same code will work on synopsis based chip eventually ?

my question is actually is this a generic protocol or each vendor has its own protocol over jtag ?

I realize I have some misunderstanding ( being newbie in jtag implementation) hope my questions are clear enough.

Thanks,

Roy  

1 answer to this question

Hi @Roya,

1) JTAG is a standard protocol that should be the same from vendor to vendor. 

2)  Adept 2 SDK has documentation and example code available for the functions accessible by users.

3) I believe that the mwr/mrd commands used by  DjtgPutTmsTdiBits  and the DjtgPutTmsBits are done with functions not accessible to the public.

4) It is my understanding that Synopsis created custom applications using the Digilent Adept 2 SDK to facilitate JTAG communication with their processors.  Here is a forum thread that deals with this situation.

thank you,

Jon

Archived