Pmod library not found in Vivado 2014.4

Danny Armstrong

Question

Hi,

I am facing a problem with adding Pmod library into Vivado 2014.4. I had to install Vivado 2014.4 because our lab's computers are 32-bit Windows-7 system.

Basically I followed the guide in Digilent's <<Getting Started with Digilent Pmod IPs>> (https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/pmod-ips/2018.2)

After I added the Digilent Library Repository, I could only find GPIO, Qspi_flash, Miscellaneous, and Reset in the "Board" tab under IP integrator. I could not find "Pmod" inside..

Vivado 2018.3 is okay though.

Could anyone enlighten me on how to make the Pmod library visible in Vivado 2014.4?

Many Thanks,

Danny

8 answers to this question

Hi @Danny Armstrong,

1) make sure you have added the vivado library to the ip repository by clicking into the project setting and selecting ip and adding the  path to the vivado library on your PC in the IP Repository.

2) It is my understanding that you can add the pmod ip cores to the block design by clicking the add ip button and type pmod then select which pmod you would like to have added to the block design.

thank you,

Jon

adding_ip_core_vivado_2014.jpg

Hi @Danny Armstrong,

Welcome to the Digilent Forums.  

Make sure you have correctly installed the board files as described here.

Here is an older Vivado resource center.  Here is an older Getting Started with Digilent Pmod IPs that should be helpful with Vivado 2014.4. 

1) What FPGA development board are you using?

a) Some of the newer FPGA development boards like the Arty-S7 uses a Spartan 7 FPGA. This FPGA is not supported by earlier versions of Vivado like Vivado 2014.4.

If you are using a ZYNQ FPGA development board then here is an older Getting Started with Zynq tutorial.

If you are using a non-ZYNQ FPGA development board then here is an older Nexys 4 DDR - Getting Started with Microblaze tutorial.

thank you,

Jon

7 hours ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @Danny Armstrong,

Welcome to the Digilent Forums.  

Make sure you have correctly installed the board files as described here.

Here is an older Vivado resource center.  Here is an older Getting Started with Digilent Pmod IPs that should be helpful with Vivado 2014.4. 

1) What FPGA development board are you using?

a) Some of the newer FPGA development boards like the Arty-S7 uses a Spartan 7 FPGA. This FPGA is not supported by earlier versions of Vivado like Vivado 2014.4.

If you are using a ZYNQ FPGA development board then here is an older Getting Started with Zynq tutorial.

If you are using a non-ZYNQ FPGA development board then here is an older Nexys 4 DDR - Getting Started with Microblaze tutorial.

thank you,

Jon

Hi Jon, 

thanks a lot for your reply. I will try the older guide material when I get back to office. 

I am using Basys3 board. 

The extra finding is that I found the board_part.xml file in the “old” folder does not include all the Pmod interfaces definitions. The board.xml in the “new” folder (used for 2015 and newer vivado versions) includes Pmod. I am thinking this could be the cause of this problem. However, I cannot use the new board.xml in vivado 2014.4

Thanks,

Danny

Hi @Danny Armstrong,

1) I do not have Vivado 2014.4 installed, please attach screen shot of what you see in the board tab of Vivado 2014.4's block design.

2) Looking at the  board_part it does not look like we constrained the Pmod Ports as part of the board files for the Older vivado board files.  I will reach out to our content team to verify.  Currently, I would suggest to right click on the pmod out bus and click make external. After you are finished with the block design create a wrapper and constrain pmod out pins with an XDC.

UPDATE: I confirmed that we did not constrain the Pmod Ports in the Older board files.

If you are having trouble with getting the external pins constrained we can help you resolve this issue. Along with the screen shot of the Vivado block design please also attach the projects wrapper and xdc file.

thank you,

Jon

8 hours ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @Danny Armstrong,

1) I do not have Vivado 2014.4 installed, please attach screen shot of what you see in the board tab of Vivado 2014.4's block design.

2) Looking at the  board_part it does not look like we constrained the Pmod Ports as part of the board files for the Older vivado board files.  I will reach out to our content team to verify.  Currently, I would suggest to right click on the pmod out bus and click make external. After you are finished with the block design create a wrapper and constrain pmod out pins with an XDC.

UPDATE: I confirmed that we did not constrain the Pmod Ports in the Older board files.

If you are having trouble with getting the external pins constrained we can help you resolve this issue. Along with the screen shot of the Vivado block design please also attach the projects wrapper and xdc file.

thank you,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Please find below the screen shot of the board tab in my block design in Vivado 2014.4.

image.png.be8a1c22699c12f2ee1810ddef039b04.png

This is sound after you confirmed that Pmod are not included in the old board file. In this case, there will be no Pmod out bus in the block design for me to do any external connection using the block design.

Does this mean that, in Vivado 2014.4, I have to use HDL to interface with the Pmod modules?

Thanks.

Danny

19 hours ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @Danny Armstrong,

1) make sure you have added the vivado library to the ip repository by clicking into the project setting and selecting ip and adding the  path to the vivado library on your PC in the IP Repository.

2) It is my understanding that you can add the pmod ip cores to the block design by clicking the add ip button and type pmod then select which pmod you would like to have added to the block design.

thank you,

Jon

adding_ip_core_vivado_2014.jpg

Hi Jon,

"Add IP" button works! Although I have not got time to implement an FPGA design yet today, I believe it will work with 2014.4, with proper external connection and Pmod constraints.

I forgot totally the "Add IP" button, when the board tab did not show the Pmod modules.

Thanks Jon.

Best Regards,

Danny

On 2/19/2019 at 5:21 AM, jpeyron said:

Hi @Danny Armstrong,

thank you,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Sorry to bother you again. I stopped the IPI project development for a while. Now I am facing a problem that I could not use the "sys_clock" on the board tab. The error says "'sys_clock' board part interface cannot be connected because No Possible options to connect."

Do you have any idea how to resolve this issue? Still Vivado 2014.4 with Basys3 board.

Thanks. Danny

Archived