Getting Started w/ ESP32

jhealow

Question

Hello,

I am trying to run AT commands on an ESP32 pmod connected to a zedboard. Both switches on the ESP32 are in the off position. My hardware block diagram is attached. When I launch SDK and open a terminal to run the AT commands, they are echoed back to me, but I don't get any other of the expected responses i.e. "OK" for the command "AT". Is my hardware configuration correct? Should I be communicating with the Pmod through an alternative to the terminal in SDK? 

Thanks,

Joe

Esp32_flow_graph.PNG

4 answers to this question

Hi @jhealow,

We typically suggest using a terminal emulator like tera term. I believe you should be able to type "ATE0"  which should prevent the demo from printing each character received from the host PC's serial terminal twice. Tomorrow I will make a project using the PmodESP32 and the Zedboard to get screen shot of what to expect for the responses from the PmodESP32. 

thank you,

Jon

Hi @jhealow,

Here is a confirmed project for the zedboard/Pmod ESP32 on JC using "Vivado 2018.2.1". I was able to duplicate your results with having the switches set wrong. To get the PmodESP32 chip to respond you need to have both switches set to the left towards the J1 header prior to power on. You also need to have the serial emulator to include both the CR and NL (LF) when transmitting. I have included screen shots below. The switch position and CR+LF terminal emulator setup are described in more detail in the reference manual here under the sections AT Command (Slave) Mode and Quick Start

thank you,

Jon

PmodESP32_1.jpg

PmodESP32_2.jpg

Archived