Analog Discovery 2 Hardware Issue

jstwiddy

Question

Hey all,

I recently purchased the Analog Discovery 2 student bundle for personal use, and I'm having some issues that appear to be the result of a hardware problem.  I've used multiple AD2's at work before and never encountered these problems previously, so I wanted to post here and see if I can get any guidance.  I'm using Waveforms 3.9.1 (the Linux ARM version) on a Chromebook running Ubuntu, with device SN 210321AA2E3C.

When I open Waveforms with the AD2 connected over USB, it sees the device and gives the serial number as I'd expect.  However, when I attempt to calibrate, I always get an error message.  Sometimes it's "WaveGen data control", other times it's a message of about the PLL not being locked, sometimes it's "Scope output A", and with widely varying levels of current (well over 500mA in some cases) and voltage listed for both the USB and AUX connections (note that I don't have the aux power applied when I'm testing this).  I'm also seeing sporadic undervoltage messages when I try to calibrate.  If I attempt to use the device without calibrating, I've repeatedly gotten a message that indicates an over-current condition (within Waveforms) that sporadically appears (and I haven't connected anything to the device thus far other than the provided USB cable).  I just now re-attempted to run the calibration sequence to get some of the other error message content I've been seeing, but oddly enough it appeared to work that time, but upon trying to replicate I'm getting error messages once again.

Looking at other forum posts, it seems like the likely cause is either an issue with the power being supplied to the device, or some damaged/improperly soldered components.  I saw on another post detailing issues similar to mine (specifically about the PLL error) that one of the power supply ICs (IC20) was visibly damaged, but I don't see any obvious damage to that chip or any other on my device.  I'd also stress that I haven't done anything with my AD2 besides unboxing it and trying to connect over USB, so I seriously doubt I've done something to damage it on my end.

I've tried connecting over USB using both available ports on my Chromebook, in case my USB supply was to blame, without success.  I'm willing to give it another go with an auxiliary supply, but I'm concerned about the overcurrent warnings I got earlier and wanted to check here for advice before moving to that step.  I'm also planning on testing using a different computer and OS to see if that solves the problem - I'll update here once I've done that and let you know what I can find out.  In the meantime, if anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Jack

2 answers to this question

Hey @attila, thanks for the suggestions.  I was able to run the test I mentioned earlier using a different, higher-spec laptop running Windows 10, and everything appeared to work normally.  I'm planning on mainly using this with my primary desktop which is a much more robust computer than my Chromebook, so hopefully this was all a false alarm - I won't have access to that computer for another few weeks however, so I'll reach back out in case I run into trouble at that point.

In the meantime I'll give things a shot with the alternate power supply as you've suggested.  I feel a lot less concerned about trying that now that it seems like there wasn't a hardware issue after all.

Thanks again!

Jack

Archived