Hello

jbird

Question

I am new to this forum and wanted to say hello.  I have just started running a few demos to try and familiarize myself with the tools and have run into a few problems. I am using an Arty board with a Microblaze processor and have successfully ran the MTDS display demos as well as successfully run a bootloader with a Hello World application.

I would like to create a bootloader for a MTDS display but have run into some issues.  I create the project similar to the Hello World bootloader but added a pmodMTDS to ja.  I programmed the FPGA and programmed the flash like this.  https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/htsspisf/start

After programming the FPGA and flash, if I don't plug in the MTDS to ja it will run the bootloader fine but be unable to find the display since it is not connected.  However once I connect the MTDS display to ja the bootloader will no longer run and it behaves as if the PC keeps seeing a device plugged into the USB port. 

Any help would be appreciated.  Here is the layout of my design in Vivado.

Thanks

image.thumb.png.5cb9a70353c3a26a25f4f7cd58de683f.png

6 answers to this question

Yes I used the How To Store Your SDK Project in SPI Flash tutorial to setup my project.  I am using Vivado 2018.2.  

I think I may know the cause of the problem.  I believe the display may be pulling too much current and is rebooting causing it to repeatedly appear to be unplugged.  If I unplug the mtds screen and allow the program to be loaded from flash then plug the screen back in it appears to work.  I will look into powering the display using an external source and see if that fixes the issue.  I would be interested to know if you experience the same issue tomorrow.

Thanks

Hi @jbird,

I just completed and verified a project using Vivado 2018.2, Arty-A7-35T , PmodMTDS on JA and qspi here.  The project loads from qspi with the usb cable as power without an issue.  I commented out the #define verbose so it does not sent serial data over the usb uart to the PC. The project loads much faster due to commenting out the #define verbose.

cheers,

Jon

Jon

Thanks for the verified project.  I tried it out and it worked.  I also commented out the #define verbose on mine and it also worked.  They both may still be affected by the screen being powered by the usb cable since they both seem to freeze after a while and cause the usb port in device manager to refresh as if it is being plugged in again.  I powered the mtds board externally and both did not exhibit this behavior.

Thanks

Archived